Advice on best mid-priced amp/pre for Forte

Warbler6

I would like to inlist the help of all you knowledgable Klipsch owners in buying the best mid-priced SS amp and pre amp set up for my new set of Fortes. My budget is $500 to $750 for both the pre and power amps in the used market. I have read about Adcom being harsh in the highs and not well matched to Klipsch while others like the newer Adcom MOSFET designs such as the 5000 series power amps. My brother loved his Adcom 535 II with his Fortes. He also used an Adcom pre. I have also read glowing reports about B&K for Fortes in this forum. I would like recomendations on specific brands and models. I'm running the Fortes currently with a Nakamichi 610 pre and a Phase Linear 200 power amp and they sound much smoother that with the Sony ES receiver with which I have experimented. Thanks for the help.

George

Welcome to the forum. I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR705(avr) being used as a preamp with a B&K Ref. 4430(200w) 3 channel amp running my Forte's. I know it isn't ideal using a HT receiver as a preamp but I think it sounds great. I am contemplating changing to a Marantz receiver to do the preamp duties but for now I am just enjoying the music. As a testimony to the B&K amps, excellent match with Klipsch and specifically the Forte's. I had an Adcom GTP-450 with the B&K running my RF-63's and was also very please with sound. B&K products are very reliable and are built to last. A nice neutral sound not too over the top or rough at the bottom.

You can't go wrong with this combination:

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?prea51ch&1244020844

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?amps30ch&1242499792

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Warbler6 says; "I would like to inlist the help of all you knowledgable Klipsch owners in buying the best mid-priced SS amp and pre amp set up for my new set of Fortes. My budget is $500 to $750 for both the pre and power amps in the used market."

I say; I'm glad you set a price, when you said "mid priced" I start thinking of $4000 pre-amps and $10,000 amps. Most of the guys here are budget minded but we all have different budgets. Anyway, I'd keep the Flame Linear 400 and look for a sweet preamp. The recommendations so far are good ones. $750 will but a nice entry level used tube pre. What's not working with your current system, on paper it looks good?

Thanx, Russ