Confessions of a tube-a-holic

Cornwalled

Hello all,

I really feel like my system has gone through an incredible transformation of the last few months. It's all thanks to the mighty vacuum tube.

It started with a used VTL ST-85 power amp. I hooked it up to the preamp outputs of my Marantz DD/DTS receiver, and was delighted at the improvement. Suddenly, things were smoother, the hash / edge was reduced, and I could listen for a longer time with less fatigue. It came with re-issue Mullard EL-34s and Electro-Harmonix 12AT7s.

I used this setup for a few months. However, my receiver showed multiple signs of declining health (noise, clicking sounds when changing inputs, volume, etc) and was also sounding more and more hashy / distorted. I realised I needed to replace it. Through the generosity of a friend of our own tigerwoodkhorns (who is also a very nice fellow himself), I was able to get a very good deal on a used VTL TL-2.5 preamp. This seemed like a natural match to my VTL power amp.

The fellow I bought it from was very nice and courteous to deal with, and made the transaction very comfortable and enjoyable for me. He had many tubes available to buy with it, but I didn't know what I wanted! Since I liked how the Electro-Harmonix tubes sounded in the power amp, I thought I'd use the same for the pre. He didn't have any, so he and I agreed that I would buy my own, and he would send his cheapest tubes (Ei from Yugoslavia) to keep cost down. When the preamp arrived, I had my EH tubes, and installed it.

Upon turning it on, I hit my first wrinkle. It sounded like there was a wind machine running in my room! This constant whoosh sound coming from the preamp. I diagnosed it to defective 12AU7s, which are the first gain stage in this preamp. So, I had to use the Ei 12AU7s while the EH's were being returned. However, using the Ei's presented another problem- they were highly microphonic. Just the slightest vibration would send them ringing. Even a recording of spoken voice would be laden with resonance at one specific frequency. It was clear I needed some good 12AU7s and fast. I called up Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio for a recommendation. Upon hearing of my situation, he recommended Mullard CV4003's. I ordered the "Special CJ Test" grade, as they are the quietest, and most resistant to microphonics.

They just arrived today, and wow, what an improvement. Finally the preamp is sounding like it should! The sound so three-dimensional. It sounds like the performers are closer now, like they are in the room. With the SS, it sounded farther away / less detailed, while also sounding more aggressive. So, to clarify, my current tube complement for the preamp is 2 Mullard CV4003s and 2 Electro-Harmonix 12AT7WCs (also said to be a low noise tube as it has a smaller plate). When I ordered the Mullards, I gave thought to also ordering some Mullard CV4024s to replace the EH 12AT7WCs, but I wanted to save money. Plus, I thought it would be helpful to only change one thing at a time. Any thoughts on whether the CV4024s would be an improvement over the EH's?

To complete The Tube Trifecta, I purchased a Jolida JD100A CD player from Brian at Venus Hi-Fi. Brian's a great guy to deal with, and I highly recommend anyone who is looking for a Jolida or Music Hall product to consider Venus Hi-Fi. I have enjoyed the player immensely. Despite a few operational / build quality quirks, I have felt it to be a great sounding player that really rounds out and completes my all tube system.

To gain a greater understanding of the improvement in sound tubes have made to my system, I tried going back to my solid state receiver with the DVD player. I found it to be painful, unpleasant, and absolutely unlistenable! It was so harsh and agressive. I couldn't believe what I was listening to, just 5 short months ago! Truly, the vacuum tube has brought about a change so revolutionary, so as to be thought of as a new system entirely! Each time I have added more tubes in my system (and eliminated more SS / opamps) I have felt it to be a marked improvement.

At this point, the only solid state element remaining is my phono preamp- a Parasound ZPhono. I recognise that this is not a top of the line phono preamp, but it was all I could afford at the time. One gripe I have of the Parasound is that it is too high gain for my Shure M110HE cartridge. I can barely control the volume on the preamp. I would like to also replace it with a tube phono stage. The VTL pre supports an optional phono stage, which can be installed by VTL. However, if I remember correctly, this is around $1000. That seems pricey to me. My guess is that I can get a used tube phono stage of equivalent quality on the used market for significantly less (perhaps around 600?). Would you agree? I remember once seeing a separate VTL phono stage on Audiogon for around that price. That would seem like the better way to go to me. I should add that I have a moving magnet phono cartridge. Any thoughts on used tube phono stages that would work well with my system?

Well, I think that's enough for now. I thank those who have had enough patience to read through my rather long winded post, and hope that it was of some benefit / entertainment to you. If it was, please let me know!

Be well, and keep in touch...

-Jon

Glad to hear that this has been a generally positive experience

whooshing sound has come up in the past but I am surprised to hear 12au7's doing this...but I guess anything is possible

military grade tubes are another consideration if you want to avoid microphonic tubes...and they are cheap too...I bought 49 new 12at7's and 25 new 12au7's recently for 4 and 6 bucks each.

Congrats! Sounds like you've made great strides in your quest for audio perfection!

I also am a tube-a-holic. It started with a nice NOSValves Scott 299b that I still have. Then when I got my Khorns, I went with some vintage Mac/Marantz gear before finally settling on the VRD/BBX combo. I now have 3 complete tube systems, one with a tube CD Player and I don't think I'll ever go back to SS.

I'm happy for you. I know exactly how you feel and what you are hearing. You're asking yourself why it took so long!!

Garymd,

I forgot to mention my vinyl setup. While it is not to the same level price wise as the CD, I nevertheless enjoy it. I was given a Denon DP-23F turntable with AudioQuest sorbothane mat and feet. It has a Shure M110HE cartridge, and is going through the previous mentioned Parasound ZPhono.

I've spent a lot of money on the system in the last few months, so I have to lay low for a little while. Eventually, I'd like to get a Music Hall turntable and a better phono stage. Since I've had good luck with VTL so far, I think I'd probably look for a used TP-2.5 (think that's the model). At any rate, it's an outboard tube phono stage by VTL.

As I type this, I'm playing my E. Power Biggs RTR tape. Sounds great. Only problem is, it's Christmas music! I need more tapes...lol.

Audio Flynn,

CJ and Audio Research were also prospects when I was shopping. As it turned out, I was able to get good deals on the VTL gear, so it made sense for me. I have no regrets. BAT was far too expensive for me.

-Jon

Garymd,

I forgot to mention my vinyl setup. While it is not to the same level price wise as the CD, I nevertheless enjoy it. I was given a Denon DP-23F turntable with AudioQuest sorbothane mat and feet. It has a Shure M110HE cartridge, and is going through the previous mentioned Parasound ZPhono.

I've spent a lot of money on the system in the last few months, so I have to lay low for a little while. Eventually, I'd like to get a Music Hall turntable and a better phono stage. Since I've had good luck with VTL so far, I think I'd probably look for a used TP-2.5 (think that's the model). At any rate, it's an outboard tube phono stage by VTL.

As I type this, I'm playing my E. Power Biggs RTR tape. Sounds great. Only problem is, it's Christmas music! I need more tapes...lol.

Audio Flynn,

CJ and Audio Research were also prospects when I was shopping. As it turned out, I was able to get good deals on the VTL gear, so it made sense for me. I have no regrets. BAT was far too expensive for me.

-Jon

A new cart in the 150 -200 range may be a revelelation.

If you are patient there are great tube options for reasonable prices given a good tube amp has decades of life expectancy.

The uninformed that spout off about bad tube amps and bad horns are usually hearing poorly maintained vintage equipment.

Nothing better than good capacitors and good tubes.

Garymd,

Audio Flynn,

-Jon

If you are patient there are great tube options for reasonable prices given a good tube amp has decades of life expectancy.

The uninformed that spout off about bad tube amps and bad horns are usually hearing poorly maintained vintage equipment.

Garymd,

Audio Flynn,

-Jon

When i first herd of a tube cd player I couldn't see it still cant but i guess that's cause i haven't herd one just herd of one. Anywho the one I've seen around was from audio research which was a tubed true digital output, is this true and is it worth the 10,000 what it list for, once i finish my 2 channel with the upgraded speakers, upgrading my preamp, possibly my power amp, and then my table, this tubed cd player might be the next thing to look at so are they really wroth the money or is there better ones or good ones for the money.

nick

I upgraded from EH 12at7 to CV4024 in my Paramounts. In that application the Mullards are worth every penny.

On the EL34 front when you get the itch again I would highly recommend EH 6CA7. Love those tubes, and they glow really well! If you can find a good, reliable dealer who can sort out the rejects and small pin issues the JJ KT77 are some of the best tubes I have ever heard.

Enjoy!