Altec Lansing Model 19s Five weeks later

Five weeks ago, I purchased a pair of Altec Lansing Model 19s. At that time, I wrote a "Did I shoot myself in the foot?" message to which many Forum members responded, most of whom felt the price I had paid for these was reasonable since the cabinets were in pretty good shape and all the internal components were original, not swapped out "customized" fillings, etc. I appreciated those e-Mails a lot, so, Thanks guys!

For the last five weeks, I have been listening to the Model 19s and my Quad ESL-63s, moving them around in my living room and auditioning many familiar CDs and LPs with them. I venture to share these few preliminary impressions.

I know this pair of speakers may seem to be an "odd couple" to be discussing since they are so different in structure and design, particularly on a Klipsch Forum, but I know many of you have several different types of speakers or just may be interested in one person's evaluations. I called these "preliminary" reactions because I have been fooled often by immediate reactions to something new to my listening room and am cautious until I have really lived with a component for a good amount of time. I suppose these comments are pretty much what you'd expect, but, be that as it may, here goes....

First the Model 19s are HUGE, not only in size but sound. The sound stage they project is vast, when appropriate, but they are fine, too, with small ensembles. A Mahler symphony on these guys is a sonic and physical experience. Since hard, honky constricted sound from horns is always hard for me to take, I was naturally concerned that the Model 19s would annoy with these characteristics. Happily, so far, I have found very little of those annoyances forthcoming. There is sometimes a little hardness in massed, high-frequency violin passages, but far less, and far less annoying, than I was expecting. The sound is extremely detailed and dynamic. So far, I am surprised to be so pleased with them! Ultimate sound pressure levels and bass are prodigious and detailed.

It is hard to compare the Model 19s to the Quads. I think this is so because the efficiencies of the two speakers are so different, and, if levels are not pretty close, there is a tendency to hear "more detail" in the speaker that is playing loudest. The Quads have a softer smoother sound, a more mid-hall perspective on the sound. The Altecs are harder and/or clearer, if you like, more like what you'd probably hear from the first row or on the podium. The Altecs are very detailed and revealing. I am hearing things on them that I hadn't noticed on the Quads. When I go back to the Quads, these things are often, but not always, audible. When they are audible, again, they seem more blended into the overall picture. I think the Quads have a slight edge in timbral accuracy on some instruments. I notice this most readily on woodwinds.

Right now, I am not clear enough on which speaker I prefer to get rid of either pair. So I will continue listening and report again if things settle out more.

Good listening!

George Roland

post-22480-13819465581194_thumb.jpg

Very interesting post George!

Many years ago I listened to the Quad ESL 63 USA models and Klipschorns. Although they were at two different locations/rooms both systems were setup very good with excellent results. My ultimate preference was for the Klipschorn and the presentation it gave but I really respect the quality and presentation of the Quad also and if we could have it all I would love to own a pair of them!

By the way alot of people don't realise that a electrostat speaker can actually be efficient but their sensitivity is what is low.(ie: They require a higher drive voltage but at low current and thus they need higher power amplifiers because of the need for high voltages and not necessarily high current.)

Cool Chairs and Room![Y][:D]

mike tn

.(ie: They require a higher drive voltage but at low current and thus they need higher power amplifiers because of the need for high voltages and not necessarily high current.)

ESLs already have transformers to step up the voltage. The Quad 57 ESL has a problem with voltage overdrive, it's easy to damage them. The internal transformers are selected on how hard they can step up the voltage without too low of an impedance at high frequencies, The Quad is a wicked load at high frequencies, it takes a lot of current to drive (an ESL is almost a pure capacitive load).

Cool Chairs and Room!

I had a pair, they're not really comfortable.

Russ,

Ha ha ha!

I got a kick out of that post!

Neither is true, actually. My listening seating position is about where the camera was--much further away from the chairs in the picture. Sometimes I DO swing one of the pictured chairs around to face the speakers but pull it back to about where the camera was.

George Roland