Want to try out tubes? Used Jolida 102B

mobile homeless

Nope; the only way to get the phono with AES is buy just what you have, Mike. If you want to see some info on the DJH (Dennis "Johnboy" Had) version, take a look here:

ae3_djh2.jpg

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/ae-3djh.htm

I would send you to the Super Amp site but it takes way too long to open. Too bad the price it so step. I think it's a bit on the high side which is why the used deal is good; unfortunately, you dont see the upgraded "DJH" model used very often.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-21-2002 at 06:18 PM

The more I read on this tube stuff the less I understand. Is there a "tubes for dummies" or equivalent that can explain to me what all this stuff is. Assume I have no electronics knowledge whatsoever.

As usual I have some questions which are probably aimed at Mobile (or anyone else with tube knowledge). As follows:

1/ I noticed that the technical specs of the amp provided by mobile use the same output tubes as my amps do (6550, KT88 etc.) I assume that if that amp can use the other tubes listed then so can I (EL34, 6L6, 6V6). What are the differences other than sonic signature? Power?

2/ I am thinking of building myself a little collection of output tubes to play with. I have the KT88's and the 6550's already. Aside from the above could I also use KT66's? Again what differences should I expect?

3/ My pre-amp is solid state (sorry Mobile - I didnt know anything at the time). It was sold to me by the guy that made the power amps and he swears it is a good match. I will be asking him soon if he has tube pre's that he makes or recommends as soon as he gets back from holiday. In the meantime I am looking for an inexpensive tube pre recommendation to use with my amps (RCA connection). Any thoughts?

4/ As you probably all know my second amp is an Accuphase E211. I am thinking of selling this now and reckon I can get about $1200 for it. What tube setup could I get for that kind of money? I am thinking of something triode (?) - as opposed to push pull I mean (Am I talking sense here?) but I imagine that with Heresy's (96 db/w/m) I will need more than the 3.5 wpc that seems most typical. If I am correct and 1 watt gives me 96 Db then 8 watts would give me 105 db which should be fine for everything except parties.

Well that's it for now. Input anyone?

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Mobile,

I should have clarified the question better. I think Wes answered it by saying the Jolida does not have a phono stage either.

I am looking very seriously at the AE-3 and would love to find the DJH version for a good price. Edster must be in heaven with that preamp, Moondogs (Ultimate) and Khorns. Like Max, I will be driving a pair of '76 Heresy's (96db) with whatever tube amp I end up with, and was also wondering if the 2A3 (3.5w) would be enough power to drive them at realistic volumes, or would the 300B at 8w be a better fit?

Mike

The Jolida 102B is actually a simple push-pull EL-84 amp with inputs, source selection, balance, and a volume pot which is actually passive. IT does not include an active line stage per say. And you are right, the Jolida does no have a phono stage so this would be additional if you opted for vinyl. On the other hand, hardly ANY modern tube integrated amps include phono stages. And most tube integrated opt for the passive volume control. So this is really not out of the ordinary.

For a review of the Jolida 102B, see the late John Wyckoff's comments at Enjoy the Music:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0500/jolida102b.htm

For a view user responses, see the typical Audio Review:

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_115852_2717crx.aspx

kh

ps - maxg, dont go rolling all those tube yet! You cannot assume your amp can use the tube selection you see via the Super Amp. It depends on your circuit and bias scheme among other things. Call your amp builder since you have a good relationship with him and ask him what can be used. It wont be the selection you see above I would guess. I'll keep an eye out on the preamp/amp (seems everyone is looking for a tube pre!)