One of my RF-25s has a bad Tweeter, can I use it without damaging system?

Any network with a higher than 6dB/oct slope will damage itself without a load hooked up (if played at any real volume).

Other than some old Heritage models, all Klipsch tweeter crossovers are higher than 6dB/oct.

Wire a resistor as a dummy load, or don't use it.

Thanks for the advice... I'm going to take down the whole setup until I get the new tweeter installed and an HDMI cable long enough to reach my projector. I have watched two movies at -30 to -25dB and the sound was good. Hope I didn't degrade the quality of my system. The good news is that after 15 years in punk rock bands my ears are dead to a wide array of frequencies and I probably won't notice a drop in quality anyways. Thanks for all your help.

oh... yeah... one more question. if there was damage caused by an imbalanced load would it be to the receiver/amp or to the other speakers?

• 3 weeks later...

I lost a tweeter on one of my RF-25. Called parts guy at klipsch and gave him serial#s(not consecutive) and he said they were part of bad run of old style # tweeter. Replaced BOTH with new crossovers and tweeters. Just like brand new now. might want to call and check. Mine were still under warranty. Good luck!

Ohiopatriot, did you ever register your speakers with Klipsch when you bought them? I would think if there was a bad run on a component that Klipsch would/should contact the user and let them know. I imagine the only way Klipsch could do this though is if the speakers were registered.

Yes, I did have my speakers registered with Klipsch and thats probably why it was no problem getting it replaced. I purchased my RF-25 originally from a small tech solutions company for a discounted price and maybe they were B stock(non consecutive #s). It was different # tweeters they sent me to swap out. I was just happy that they fixed the problem for me.

so I took your advice and switched the tweeters out and... the same speaker did not work! So I guess that means it's not the tweeter after all. What are some other things I should check and I how do I get to them... (like the crossover)? I'm currently awaiting a response from Klipsch... I'm really hoping they'll just replace the speaker.