Need Help With a Suspected KLF-20 Failure

Chiman

I'm not sure I am posting in the correct area, but I'd like to connect with someone familiar with the KLF-20 speakers. I had a recent experience that leads me to believe I've either got a damaged woofer or crossover - need some troubleshooting support.[:'(]

• Moderators

What is going on with them ?

I don't know anything about the KLF 20, but if the problem is a driver not working or cutting in and out I may know what the problem is. I had the same problem with a pair of Forte ll's, it turned out to be a bad connection of the wires. They were very tight on the little ears but they were not making contact. I took them off and on a few times and they did nothing, I then unplugged them and cleaned them and they started working. As tight as they were I have no idea how they were not making contact but they were not until I cleaned them. I thought I had a bad crossover or driver also.

If this is not your problem, someone else will answer this thread or you could always call Klipsch, they also have people to help with stuff like this.

I run these with a Sansui 9090 and have had them since 2007. I do run the vlume up on them, but nothing in the clip region. I was listening to them one day and there was a long, low burst of bass that came out of one of them - I was in another room so I can't tell which one. Since then, there's an intermittent "buzz" when a certain bass frequency is played. There isn't a consistent sond of a blown speaker, but you can definitely hear that buzz enough to know something is wrong.

Is there some way to start the process of checkout by ohming out the speakers at the terminals? Should there be 8 ohms with no load?

I thought these speakers were indestructable - they didn't like the Doors too much! :-)

• Moderators

Until someone who knows about the KLF 20's shows up, what about taking out a driver, or if the back can can come off look inside and see if something came loose and is causing a vibration, like a wire or some models have sound deadening material inside ?

It's probably that no good Sansui, sent it to me and get something worth having !

Just kidding I at one time had the 8080 and loved it, I should have kept it, I sold it because some light's went out and moved on to other brands== bad move.

dtel- I think you came close to a possible answer.

Check the back panel of the speaker cabinet and see if the it is still glued all the way around. Early KLF's were known to have faulty glue problems (not mine of course :) )

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure all the phillips-head scews are tight holding in the drivers themselves (carefull though, they're only wood screws going into MDF) or even the terminal plate on the back.

One more thing - pound your fist on top of the cab (no kidding) and see if you hear a rattle. If so that's the midrange driver rattling against a support shelf inside the cab. I just stuck a piece of peel-n-stick felt on the contact point of the driver and all is well.

These speakers are pretty stout but can still be damaged. They have very little woofer excursion (movement) to get a tremendous amount of bass from them.