Heathkit AA-150

They're a good sounding cost effective integrated amp. Excellent on horns and effecient speakers.

I've got one in the closet I'm not using now only because I stole the EL84's from it to put in the AA-111 that I sent to Arfandbark a couple of years ago. I've got another quad for it but haven't got around to installing them yet.

The preamp section is a little too contained for my liking but still sound good on horns with the right tubes. They were designed for a tube like Mullard and they do a good job. Naturally tubes are always the key.

You've got to be able to overlook the "Edsel" look which I never have been able to. I'm not picky about the look and cosmetics of vintage tubers (and I've got some buttugly amps) but the 151 and similar Heathkits had their own "style" (for lack of a better vocabulary)

JMHO which means diddly.

Harry

Harry covered it pretty good. Great sounding integrated EL84 amp but really 57 chevy dashboard looking. If you do not mind the looks this one can be a real jewel in the rough. They are really picky with EL84 tube selection. They seem to work well with most vintage types and I found the modern JJ EL84 works and sound really good to boot.

Yes I do and here it is. Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Yup, that's the same amp my dad built back in the early 60's along with a matching tuner. When I got into tube amps a few years ago I asked dad if he still had the old Heathkits. He said he gave them to my bro in law who traded them for some ss gear. Argggg............

The Heathkit AA-151 was my first tube amp, back before I even owned Klipsch speakers. I was still in highschool when I got it. Over the time I had it, I ran into two problems:

1. The dual-concentric volume control didn't track properly. One channel would play louder than the other depending on the volume position.

2. The power switch would arc when turned off or on, creating a "bzzt" sound from the unit when power was cycled. I got good at turning that switch real quick.

I can't really comment on the sound as at the time, I had in-efficient bookshelf speakers. I suspect it would be pretty good with horns.

I gave it to a guy to go over, and never heard from him again. I miss it actually. Now that I have the La Scalas, the Cornwalls could use something to drive them. Wonder if I can get a hold of the bum...

-Jon