Voodoo Child

oscarsear

I was at Costco on Tues. I always peruse their CD stuff. There I found a compilation Hendrix CD entitled "Voodoo Child". I have more than a few Hendrix CDs but this one had 2 CDs and the selection seemed comprehensive and representative. For $13.00, I bought it. Listened to it this morning. Got out the good port wine and listened.

Imagine a young Oscarsear amongst a small group standing 15 feet away from the Jimi Hendrix trio in 1969. I was an usher at the Hollywood Bowl during my high school years. You had to show up early (of course) for any event. This 'event' was Hendirx. The small group gathered stage front for his final full dress rehearsal. The 'hill' was empty but the band was set up full regalia, all sound systems engaged. As I joined the gathering the band finished up one of their older selections and was conferring amongst themselves. They adjourned that meeting and took their positions. They played "The Burning of the Midnight Lamp". It was the 1st time any of us had heard it. Nobody but us 10 or 15 souls and all of that sound system at full tilt. Later that night when they played this song the place went dead silent once they began. It was almost spiritual.

Well they are all gone now. This is rather carved into my memory banks. Voodoo Child is nicely done and well recorded. I'd recommend it, but I am not unbiased.

I have alot of Hendrix on vinyl.40 years later is still sounds amazing.Jimi and Eddie Kramer worked majic in the short time they recorded.1983 A Merman I shood turn to be is an outerworldly piece of genius.Much better than the techno crap they are producing today.