Need help completing a home theater system

substance-p

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum but have been reading over the past few days trying to figure out what to do with my new HT setup. My Wife and I are moving to a new house and this coincides with my parent's upgrading their Klipsch system and giving me their RF-35s and RS-35s.

I am trying to determine which center channel to purchase (I assume a RC-35 would be the best choice; however, I am wondering if I should ) and I need two more speakers to finish off 7.1. These two speakers I need will be the rear speakers and could be floorstanding or bookshelves based on the deminisions of the room. Do I need to try and find RF/RB-35s so that they match or would other reference series speakers work well (I am trying to find used stuff to minimize the cost and I can get a pair of rf-5s at a good price). Lastly, does anyone have a tip for a sub that offers the most bang for your buck?

Also, in the family room we are looking at putting in a smaller system. Due to size constraints, the only klipsch speakers (in my price range and before going to quitet style) that will fit are either the RF-10s or RF-52s. I assumme the 52s are the way to go and offer decent sound for a small room?

Welcome to the forum...

At the moment I would just look for the RC-35. Then see how it sounds with the 5.1 setup. How big is the room with the RF-35?

As for subs it all depends on how much you are looking to spend. Take a look at these places, some have them and like it. Epik Subwoofers, Element Design aka ED and AV123.

Due to size constraints, the only klipsch speakers (in my price range

What is the size and price range for this room? Have you thought about Heresy?

James

Thanks for the welcome. I have been a lifelong Klipsch fan (at least since I bought my current system ten years ago) and was happy to find this forum.

The bonus room (where I was planning on putting the RF-35s) is 28 feet long and 19 feet wide. I can get an RC-35 or an RC-52 for $250 (I haven't quite figured out how the older 35s compare to the current 52s).

The family room is small (don't know the measurements off hand but somewhere around 15X12). The space constraints comes from where we are placing the TV. It is going in a corner and it only leaves 7.5 inches on each side of the TV for front speakers. I have plenty of space for the rears and center though.

Thanks for the tips on the subs. I know I won't need much in the family room but wouldn't mind getting something that can do a little shaking in the bonus room if/when budget allows.

I haven't quite figured out how the older 35s compare to the current 52s

Yea that would defiantly be something that you would have to listen to in your setup to determine.

I know I won't need much in the family room

You can also look out for the Sub-12, people here picked it up on sale at the end of last year and love them. Check out the threads in the "Subwoofer" section.

Good luck on your search, and like Downunder said, your ears are the deciding fact.

James