7.1 Surround & 5 channel stereo Using Denon 4800 or 5800

boa12

if i were to go w/ the denon & use the below (hopeful) speaker set up, would the denon work ok if i wanted to switch off the side surrounds for music only (5 channel stereo) but on for 7.1 channnel ht. or any recommends on a better set-up? (i'm really space limited as u can see w/ the cornwalls in the rear).

thanks!

Front

[] [] [] RF-7, RC-7

[] Couch [] RS-7

[] [] Cornwalls (& Pow Amp?)

Rear Surround - Use for Rear Effects on HT; & for music(cd), as the only surrounds for direct or 5 channel stereo modes

hope the chart is clear. guess what i'm basically wondering is will the denon allow u

to select Surround A - off & Surround Rear-On for just the 5 channel stereo mode & then remember it? if so, wonder why the denon manual doesn't seem to support the above.

maybe caus i'm hoping for a total of only 4 surrounds instead of 6 (in their diagrams they seem to propose using the music speakers as the B surrounds- why not use like the cornwalls for both ht & music in this capacity?).

it also looks like w/ the avr-5800 u don't even need a sep. power amp. correct?

also, any thoughts on a better way given my prefs & room limitations?

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Hey Boa

I think if I was going with those speakers I would consider a tube preamp and a lesser reciever.

I posted a while back on a 7.1 tube preamp put out by sasaudiolabs. Seems like this would be the best of both worlds--feeding HT/music signals through it should rock. No experiance with such a device though, you can check it out on thier web site.

hey quenten, thanks for the reply. i'd like to have that memory function like the denon but bet there are many others that have it for speaker selection/modes. where's all the denon dudes? how bout that 7.1! there's are holes in my surround sound & i need a $4k band-aid biggrin.gif

Hi Boa,

I've also got a 5800 and my plans, in our new home's media room, are to have two La Scalas in front, a Heresy II in the center, four RS-3s for side and back surrounds (for HT only) and my other two Heresy IIs in the rear corners for music surrounds. I understand that the 5800 will do this fine, but I've not got mine set up yet to verify this.

Take a look at the Australian Spero D's 5800 site. A post there should answer your specific question (and verify mine, too!)

Ross

holy smokes ross, that'll sound better than any local movie house by far. are u also getting an array of subs (like the new rws-15

possibly smile.gif

the 5800 will probably do the above no problem (& about any other combo u want). that 7 channel power supply is great & will probably soon be the standard. i really wondered why denon doesn't seem to cover my

proposed set-up in the manual. probably because it's overkill for rear surrounds, & why not just get 2 more speakers. but i have those space limits. & kinda seems like a waste to use the corns only for music or only for ht for that matter.

thanks for the site ref. Boa

Boa,

I have the 5800 also. You get 7 channel stereo with the surrounds and rears. The 5/7 channel stereo mode uses all of the speakers that are hooked to the system. So I don't believe you can turn off the surrounds and use your cornwalls. I will experiment today and see if I can do it. I'll keep you posted.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 denter

KLF-30 surrounds

KSP-S6 rear center

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

thanks cola! yea I was wondering if just w/ that mode u could set the surround (rs) to off & still the rear surround (cornwalls) would play. guess it's no real biggy but i'd rather not have the side dipoles playing for music cds. if u can't turn em off i guess u could just turn the level all the wat down just for that mode(?)

i think i was wondering w/ your set-up on that other thread - could u put your other

ksp-6 in for another rear surround, iow, is 2

better than 1?

------------------

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

Boa,

Looks like all the speakers need to be set to at small or large, this is for all modes. You can't configure each one for the number of speakers used unfortunately. However, what if you adjust the sound parameters for each mode? These are unique for each mode. Therefore, why not adjust your side surrounds to the lowest negative setting your system is capable of? This should render them unheard or almost anyway.

To answer your other question, I would use the second S6 but I have a very odd back wall, in that it doesn't extend all the way across the back. So only room for one, which fortunately is the center of my listening area. Also, the rear isn't two true separate channels, so there is no advantage to using two speakers. Hope this helps. Email me at mark@colabear.com if you have any other questions.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 denter

KLF-30 surrounds

KSP-S6 rear center

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

thanks again cola. i'm leaning toward just keeping my &%*$ sony (it's less than 1 yr. old anyway) & just using it's A+B for the cornwalls for music only then w/ the $ getting the new rs-7 to put on top of em for surround HT.

at least til I get a new house smile.gif

ross, yea it's no problem if u use 6 surrounds. my problem is w/ my cheapness i'd rather do it w/ only 4 smile.gif iow, using your the diagram, i'd like to use my cornwalls that are now in the B position to do both B & the rear A.

actually i discovered u can do it all if u have another amp. think i'll wait for a all-in-one that'll do it all or buy more speakers. I just love my cornwalls so much I'd like to be able to use them for everything (but not use the dipoles for music). thanks again. Boa

------------------

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

Boa,

Have you forgotten the 3801?It's the 5800 with 105X7 instead of 170X7 and no THX.Still has the DTS ES discret.

I just found 2 more KSP-S6's and they are on their way.They will replace the 2 IW-150's.I'll let you know how they sound with 7 channel music.

With K-Horns up front,2 channle is they way I go,but I'll do some listening and le you know.

You know you should really let me have those Cornwalls before they go to waist back there and get some more RS-7's.

Your speaker positions are like mine.

Check out the 3801 and with the green you save get 2 more RS-7's and maybe a 3 channel amp for the front end.The 2 Denon amps I'm using up front really brought more detail to the sound.

Use the Cornwalls(music)in each back corner and the RS-7s(HT)on the back wall.

------------------

My Home Theater:

'77 Klipschorn L&R w/ALK's

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 IW-150s rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

All speakers set to"large".

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,one in each corner(behind the Horns false walls)Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dish Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Horns & Heresy bi-wired using Monster XPHP for the bass.

Stinger Queen interconnects.

hey steve, sorry my eyes were too big biggrin.gif

i think for now i'll go the A+B route w/ the sony &, if they sound good, get the rs-7 & put em on top of the corns (hey they make great stands too smile.gif) then get the rf-7or5 & rc-7 for front. but i'm sure it's only a matter of time til I become a denon man.

and the green goes on (out the door)...

------------------

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

Boa-

I have got the 4800/5200 combo and I have my speakers set up so that surround L/R are in "B" position, and surround back are in "A" position. Both pairs are KG 1.2s, matched with Forte II/KV-3 up front, and Paradigm PW-2200 sub and I love my system. It would be great to have that second set of "A" speakers, but my HT is set up on one side of a 16x24 family room, so there is no wall to mount the speaker on the right hand wall.

I have the 5200 driving the Forte IIs and the 4800 driving the center and all surrounds. I must admit, 7-ch stereo is quite impressive with this set-up. I am so glad the Denon has that setting, where I can pipe music to all speakers natually, and not have it distorted by some DSP mode as my old Pro Logic receiver did.

While it may not be completely correct; surrounds "should" be dipoles (I still don't completely understand that, but it might be because I haven't heard an A/B comparison) I am very pleased with both music and HT use. Hope this helps.

Rob

rob, are your kg's dipoles (excuse my ignorance but i have a big klipsch knowledge gap between cornwalls & today smile.gif )?

yea THX seems to recommend using dipoles for all surrounds for that HT surround effect. but recording studios seem to go w/ the 4 direct speakers for music (rears in back corners). guess i'm looking for the best of all worlds w/ the denon 4800/5800/or 3801(steve) & w/ my smallish room using the rear cornwalls for both.

but w/ my growing a/v love, sure i'll probably end up w/ 2 sets of dipoles in addition to the corns to satisfy THX for HT,

as well as a denon w/ at least 6.1 discrete.

(is this some conspiracy to get us to buy more stuff smile.gif

until/if the tech stocks ever go back up, for now i better just a+b the cornwall rears for music & pick up the rs-7(maybe) for HT.

------------------

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

now i think i was just being too picky & cheap.

i'll plan on just getting 2 sets of dipoles instead of trying to run the the cornwalls for both music only direct & rear surround effect speaks.

iow, I could still use the corns as the B surrounds & even have them in (A+B) for the HT. but for music take out the A surrounds (this can be done i'm sure?).

so I have to get 4 like the rs-7.

mo $, mo $

Boa-

My KG 1.2s are direct radiating, (still can't keep dipole/monopole/etc straight). I sure like the situation I am in: 7-ch stereo is incredible and HT is too. I don't know if I am missing out on much by not having the "right" kind of surrounds, but until I get a HT-only room, this is how I will "survive." biggrin.gif

I'd have to do some serious listening tests to see if I'd want to upgrade from my Forte IIs. Who knows, maybe the Jubilee will start me on that path...

• 1 year later...