Cornscala S (for Squattie)?

Mikie

My name is Mikie, and I'm a Heritage-aholic [:D]

A few years ago I built a custom center (K77, K55 w/401 lens, 2 10" woofers, & a Bec Cornscala x-over) to compliment my Khorns. The center needed to be thin to squeeze into an entertainment center over a 65" rear-projection TV. It was good, but never had the kick I wanted to keep up with the Khorns.

After several years years of patiently waiting the rear-projection finally bit the dust and will be replaced with a 63" plasma on Sunday. At long last I have an opportunity to build a real Cornscala with a K33 [8][<:o)][8].

WAF limits total height to 24", but a width of up to 5' is possible. I'm thinking of a Cornscala with 19" internal height, around 24" deep & 48" wide (haven't calculated exact dimentions yet. The K77/K55 stacked on the left side & a K33 on the right with a single 3"x15" verticle port on the far right (wish I could post a screenshot).

Before I get too far designing the enclosure I'd appreciate comments/suggestions.

keep the internal volume about the same as a Cornwall. with a K401 and K55 it's going to be near 20" deep IIRC. keep the volume and length of the port the same as a Corn and you'll be good to go down into the 30s. Use Bob Crites cast frame K-33 replacement, it's good. The rest you've already got.

this is a project that i built it has 2 - 12s ported with the k400 and k77 at the moment it used the heresy 1 12s i never got around to getting the new heresy 3 woffers it i tuned the box to 34 hz and man does it sound good i just dont think i like the size any more. i am using a standard lascala xover type aa. it has an absoulute butiful sound and maybe a little more output cause of the 2 12s. im in the middle of building a really nice H1 for my center now any questions ask.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103089.aspx?PageIndex=1

its not really talent its more like having time and nothing else to do. as i am working on a H1 to match my main lascalas in the same finish built from scratch and then ti will do the same for my H2s look for a thread in the future i will try to pm you a link if i remember. have fun with your project and take your time there is always no hurry to make things look as good as you would want to.

i also have the cast frame crites woofers and love them,

Could you describe your take on the sonic difference between the cast and the older stamped frame woofers?

I cant really describe the sonic difference between the 2 because i only ever had the cast frame ones. My dad has all original like 78 lascalas that i could use to compare but they are not in the same place. Also i never used the factory xovers i went straight to ALK ES networks i belive ES500 + ES4000, i also have the ap12-500 network for the low to mid xover to play with. as you can see it just is not fair to compare the 2. I went with the cast frames after i read all the reviews the other members had about them and then decided to go with them. All this probaly doesnt help you much sorry anout that.

i also have the cast frame crites woofers and love them

Could you describe your take on the sonic difference between the cast and the older stamped frame woofers?

There's really very little sonic difference. The Crites woofers have just a bit more output and I think they extend a bit lower. They do require a break-in to get there though.

Not a big upgrade, but because you can sell K33's for good money, the cost to change over is about $100, which makes the little bit of gain worth it.

Greg