Any Gramheads out there???????????-

I listen to may types of of the beaten path music. If you walk into my listening room you may hear anything from Kid Rock to the Stones to David Allen Coe to Robert Jonhson to Dime Bag Darrell or the George Clinton to who knows what.

Every once in a while I will fall into days of wanting to hear nothing but Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers. The overall impact of his work on all of the country rock we listen to today is totally ignored and not recognized. This is a shame because much of his work was way ahead of his time. Many bad decisions and substance abuse took him away from us way too soon.

Just curious if anybody else is a fan as well.

Yes indeed- Pure Prarie League- Vince Gill's old band. Saw them in a small club in Charlotte back in the 70 s or 80s???? Killer!!! Got some old vinyl kicking around here somewhere.

There is a remasted German import CD- the Flying Burrito Bros- which has like 20 songs including Wild Horses which I think Gram and Keith Richards wrote together(they were old druggie buddies). Contains all the songd from "The guilded Palace of Sin" and Burrito deluxe. I bought mine foe 11.00. Well worth the price. Highly reccomend if this is within your musical taste.

There is also a Gram Parsons Tribute Album thia is a must have.

The only Gram I have is "Farther Along" (the best of the FBB collection), the"GP/Grievous Angel" twofer CD and The Byrds' "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" . But, having said that, I still consider myself a huge fan of his music. I look at him as kind of a latter-day version of Hank Williams. If he had lived a few more years, he may have lived up to that, but maybe not, due to the drug use. All in all, a sad tale of wasted talent, but in the short time he had, he made his mark anyway. I think he really is appreciated, just not on the scale of a Hank Williams, but he didn't do as much as ol' Hank either.

JDM- You pretty much have the bases covered with those selections. I have 10 or 12 of his CDs and there is a lot of duplication. I see a tremendous amount of his influence in the Eagle's music as well as just about all of the Alternative Country stuff out there (budby miller- wilco- emmy lou-lucinda williams- cowboy junkies-ect). No doubt that he WANTED TO BE the next Hank-down to the Nudie suits and he had all of the tools. True to form - he just destroyed himself a lot faster. Considering his music was in the late 60s and early 70s- there is no telling what he could have accomplished if he had just lived a little longer. The Emmy Lou harris inspired Grevious Angel tribute CD with many artists did much to turn new folks on to Gram's music. I have worn out several copies.

Very sad tale indeed.