large / small fronts question

bailz

chasing a bit of help with the front mains, at the moment it is set as defult with fronts as large and surrounds and center as small with the crossover at 80, with the mains set as large do they still cut off at 80hz or is this setting putting to much pressure on them?? i might need it dumbed down a bit[:S]

thanks guys

If you set your fronts to large they are not using the LFE crossover so they are not being cut off at 80hz.

It is usually better to run all your speakers to small and let your subwoofer handle the lows. This lets the subs amp take care of the lows and frees up power to the other speakers and it also lets the sub handle all the deep lows which is exactly what it was designed to do.

You might try playing with your crossover point if your speakers are capable of nice lows on their own. I would run all your speakers to small then compare crossover settings of 40hz, 60hz and 80hz. I use 60hz settings on my own system.

Yes, that will work. Subs differ on how their crossovers are set to off or LFE. You want the subs crossover off and to use the receivers.

Setting your sub to its highest setting will be the same as turning the subs crossover to off.

Sending a full-range signal to your main speakers will not stress them, they're made for that. The idea of sending the low bass to the sub instead of the main speakers is to put your amplifier power where it will do the most good, since most AV receivers don't have a lot of power when driving 5-7 channels. Most "100W x 7" receivers are lucky to deliver 50 watts per channel when they're driving 7 channels.

When I had a sub in my HT system I did not like the sound with all the speakers set to small. Put all 5 on large and sounded much better.

Try both large and small and pick the one that sounds best to you.