Help wanted with B&O turntable service

Noseyjoe

Most B&O are OK, but.................

Don't but a model that takes a round cartridge.

Don't buy a model that takes a round cross-section belt.

OK, so I'll just do my research and try to figure out which ones use the round cartridge and/or the round belt; to see if this one is right for me. Hopefully the seller will still have this one available once I get that figured out. Thanks for the tip.

Any other opinions on round cartridges or round belts?

Rick

I understand about the round carts, but what's with the round belts? My 1900 uses a round cross section belt and it is still operating perfectly after 35 years of service...

I do not favor the radial tracking B&O tables that use the newer MMCX series carts so much. They replaced the mechanical operations with electronic operations and they are less robust. The ones that use the MMCXXXX series carts and forgo the electronic controls are superior, in my judgement.

Those round cartridges always seem to be missing anyway! Picked up an old turntable at a boot sale some years ago and sat on it for ages until finally gave up hope of finding a cart.

Found a service manual for my Beogram 1700 online; covers the 2200 also and I think the 2400, both of which ingeniously incorporated weigh scales into the platter to tell whether record is 7, 10 or 12ins - amazing! Not sure it applies to my 1700 though... I still have to pretend 12" singles are 33rpm before changing speed up when needle hits the groove

"but what's with the round belts?"

The aftermarket ones are very poor, plus the motors in those models are no longer available

The square cartridge models are safe to buy, they use flat belts, and usually have motors that are still available.

Thebes - great find on the site with B&O manuals. I have an RX-2 & wanted the service manual for years. Many thanks.

I got an MMC2 cartridge from sound-smith.com a couple years back & luv it. Very nice cartridge from a quality vendor.

--Mikie

Thebes - great find on the site with B&O manuals. I have an RX-2 & wanted the service manual for years. Many thanks.

I got an MMC2 cartridge from sound-smith.com a couple years back & luv it. Very nice cartridge from a quality vendor.

--Mikie

My pleasure. I live to serve my forum buddies.