Which Mac amp for Crites-upgraded Forte IIs?

Rootpusher

Greetings!

As a result of lurking here, I scored a pair of oiled oak Forte IIs and went the Bob C. route for internal wiring, diaphragms, and crossovers. NICE.

I have a high-end digital frount-end, and recently acquired a Mac C504 preamp. I'm thinking about a Mac amp to complete this "vintage" rig and the MC502 that matches the C504 is intriguing, but is not a "classic" autoformer Mac.

I'm also looking at a supposedly working-at-spec MC250 (which uses autoformers), but worry that solid state that early could sound terrible with a speaker as revealing as the Klipsch.

Any other used Mac suggestions? I'd love to stay under a $1,000.

Autoformer Macs greatly preferred over their direct-coupled designs?

Thanks

Arghhh.

I ordered a C1 grade MC250 on AudioClassics web site yesterday -- up at $299! -- and they called today to say the listing was an error, and that it is an "F" cosmetically. (C denotes good cosmetics; 1 denotes amp checked out and working to spec.)

The search continues; thanks for all your suggestions.

The newer MC502/2120/2125/2200/2205 series sound quite a bit better than the earlier MC250/2505/2100/2105/2300 series.

I have a 2100 in good cosmetic shape that I am willing to part with (keeping my pair of 2120).

I have a line on an MC250 checked out and brought up to spec by mcintoshhomeaudio.com (Tom Manley and Terry DeWick) and a line on an MC2120 checked out at spec by AudioClassics.

How would those amps differ in the context of my C504/Forte II system?

Which would you prefer and why?

Thanks!
progress.gif