Electronic Crossover @ 390Hz for Khorn bass bin and BEC AA for mid and high

Ki Choi

One of the most satisfying bass I have ever had in my room was when I used the Khorn bass bins as subs with 51Hz LP electronics crossover and 200W SS amps to play on top of the full range B&W N800s. The set up really showed what it means to have full range bass along with pant-leg-flapping boogie factor...

Now, I will be trying the same crossover LP at 390Hz to drive the Khorn bass bins and HP at 390Hz (24dB/Oct) feeding the exsiting BEC AA for the ALK Trachorn mids and CP-25 tweeters.

I will know if it's going to work for me or not in due time but thought to ask the experts if I should be aware of any possible pit falls.

The next experiment will be to drive the bass bins and Quad ESL-63s LP & HP @109Hz.

Thanks,

Ki

Tried many electronic crossovers - Bryston 10B, 10B sub, and others. But to my ears, the HSU Research High-End Electronics Crossover (~$450 list) to be the most transparent. It also has slight bass EQ around 40 to 50Hz to overcome my room suck-out in the region.

The Hsu markets their own crossover modules up to 150Hz for use with their subs but the design can support up to ~800Hz (Jubilee...someday.;-)) in two way set up.

I will post some photos hopefuly over the weekend.

Ki

Tried many electronic crossovers - Bryston 10B, 10B sub, and others. But to my ears, the HSU Research High-End Electronics Crossover (~$450 list) to be the most transparent. It also has slight bass EQ around 40 to 50Hz to overcome my room suck-out in the region.

The Hsu markets their own crossover modules up to 150Hz for use with their subs but the design can support up to ~800Hz (Jubilee...someday.;-)) in two way set up.

I will post some photos hopefuly over the weekend.

Ki

Thanks I'll have to look up those crossovers.

I was talking to a horn builder who also builds bass horns about crossover points. I was wanting to cross as high as the Jubilee could go.The Jubilee LF easily hits 1khz. The problem I was told is the voicing is abit strange when crossed over higher than 600 and 700 would be pushing it. It seems vocals and especially female vocals just don't sound right from the LF. I had been told not to cross too high on the lf but not why. My reasoning was that if you could cross around 800 this would open up alot more horns and driver for use with the Jubilee LF. This could also be why PWK crossed at 600.

what do you do about phase in such systems? Do you leave everything electrically in phase or find that swapping ends on one or the other speaker component makes a difference?

I keep the polarity correct between the amps and drivers, and use the polarity reversal switches on the xover if necessary. The only time they were used was to time-align the horns (invert and null method). The delays in the xover correct the time-alignment between drivers.

Don:

Have you done any of the DCX2496 mods suggested in that forum? Or is yours stock? How do you like its sound?

The DCX2496 and the BBE DS-26 are those too good to be good deals. You seem to get a lot for $299 street price for both units.

Kwingylee