I made a music server, and it even sounds good too.

tromprof

I edited the PM1.6 plugin for J. River for 1920x1080 if anyone needs it.there are someother skins for TrackInfo that just have big letters but I prefer to have lyrics, band members, etc

This is a screenshot from a 42" so it's plenty big.

All links open "lightroom" style so you never really open an external browser.

It should work on MC12, 13, or 14.

8456621310.jpg

Gyration remote is top notch, cheaper than the Logitech in-air, but recenlty J. River introduced something that has caused some issues when it is used in conjunction with Intelliremote. I'm working on it, still really nice remote that can provie keyboard too via the same usb dongle which is RF. If you use WMP you can use the new version of the Gyration w/ LCD to view/choose playlists etc.

Just sold my Origenae Uneex x11, man that was a nice setup, but I built a new HTPC/server out of a Psile case and mini-ITX board. Windows 7 x64 running rather smoothly; much better than Vista imo. I've never had a problem with EMI/RFI jacking up onboard sound, but maybe the PSU could introduce some noise but I use an external DAC anyway. I almost bought a Wavelength Proton but went with a Peachtree Nova (fed by 1616M from PC).

DC

I use Vista Ultimae 64 Bit becasue I have an AMD X2, dual core 64 Bit machine, and I got VU-64 for $80 from an OEM software vendor. WMP isn't the greatest. I really like the TV stuff that comes with WMC, sets up for remotes and everything. I use the SRS Audio Sandbox 64 bot tp supplment the lame audio output from WMP. VLC of course cures all ills for both the audio portion and movies. WMP is supported by just about any Windows platform, but there are other uuilities for music, e.g.Wimamp and VLC,

WMC (Windows Media Center) is part of Home Premium and Ultimate, WMC is a great utility for using my PVR. WMC is also a really good out of the box iutility for ntegrating of media libraries, sources and output devices. .WMC can be used effectively along with wireles routers and other multimedia toys to make your computer an essential integrator of of multimedia IO. Totally cool stuff. M$ should offer a course in it, because there is a ton of stuff builli in and accessible through it's aplil

What the difference betwee Home Premium and Ultimate is comes down to bells and whistles. Vista Basic, I really don't know, never seen it. Truthfull I bought Ultimate 64 because it seems like a good deal for $80. MSFT just me an offier for $10 which allows me to upgrafe to WU7 Ulitmate for $9.95. totally a deal.

WMP is lame, but WMC isn't half bad, wee it not for the the package of multimeia features, to numerous to list, I'd probably still be using Ubunto 8.04. This machine started life as a Ubuntu "Gutsy Gibbin" machine. I have my next desktop, and AMD Phenom II all planned out, so I'll order it in time for my birhday. In all likelihood it too will be a W7U-64 OS.

MythTV and Elisa, two Linux products that don't quite do what WMC does so readily. If MythTV got close to WMC, I wouldn't even how to spell Windows.

For years I have been using Computers as a wey of pumping multimeda from device to device. In the Linux world we consciously pipe from device to device. I can use ivtv-tune to set a channel in /dev/video0, pipe the output from /dev/video0 to mplayer or Videolanclient (VLC). In the windows world it is a bot more point and click at the cost of some freesom of options. The whole multimedis thing can be done in Windoze within 20 minutes, WMCis a darn good integrator of all your media.

Honestly, it is one of my prime reasons for staying with Windoze. Were it not for WMC I would be on Ubuntu 8.04, for both my server and my clients. Ok, so Creative and Nvidia both make better drivers and software for Windows than they do for Linux. Through good speakers, the driver difference is apparent.

I have been working on a good Linux based mulitimedia center, one that has a Windows like interface. Honestly to redirect and pope from device to device is very stable under both operating systems at this time. My time with Windows 7 Ultimate has been great, but the server for all these terabytes of data come from a Linux server broadcasting shares via SMB (M$ standard). One day I;ll get it right, but hey, I'm a Combat SAMBO teacher, not a programmer.

• 3 weeks later...

What the difference betwee Home Premium and Ultimate is comes down to bells and whistles. Vista Basic, I really don't know, never seen it. Truthfull I bought Ultimate 64 because it seems like a good deal for $80. MSFT just me an offier for $10 which allows me to upgrafe to WU7 Ulitmate for $9.95. totally a deal.

I thought the substantive difference in many home version vs. ultimate/pro was limited home networking; maybe this changed with Vista though. I always thought that was pretty rude of MS to label an OS "home" and then exclude home networking from it (i.e. XP Home)

DC

I have both Vista Ultimate (on my main computer) and Vista Home Premium (on my music server). Both are networked together, if there is any limitations in the Home Premium networking I am unaware of it, however I don't do very much between the two usually just pass a few files between the two computers.

I would not bother with Vista Basic, it seems to be pretty lacking from what I have seen.

I like both Home Premium and Ultimate. The biggest advantage that Ultimate has that I really like is an excellent complete computer backup system.

As far as players go my favorite is WMP, I think that people who don't like it haven't spent the time to fully understand it's options and what it has to offer. I feel it offers the best functionality and best sound over everything else I have tried. I did upgrade the visualizations with G-Force.

For the internal (behind the firewall) network I use a Linux server that broadcasts both DHCP and SMB/CIFS through Samba. This way the Linux shares on the server are readily accesible by the Windows machines or the occasional Mac, throughout the house. If Linux had a prettier desktop, I would use it all the way around. Vista and W7U are way prettier.