Has anyone ever run a Madison Fielding 320?

Leslie, the entire Madison Fielding line is quite rare, but the valuation is both sporadic and fickle. I picked up mine for under $100, and the three examples I have seen have ranged from $40, $350 to over $650, with no logic to the price. Every sale is seemingly on its own, and doesn't follow condition or operability.

I passed on picking up a later version MF tube tuner for $35 on Long Island off Craigslist, and picked up a MF 440 receiver off EBay for $140.

Posted Image

The Asian collectors love the MF preamp, for some unknown reason. Madison Fielding was located in a very unfavorable area, as they were in the backyard of Marantz(Long Island), Fisher and Karg (NYC), HH Scott(Mass), and numerous smaller fish like itself. Their prices, while not outrageous, were slightly higher than similar Fisher gear, and they continuously lost market share to Fisher and Karg every year.

I have found mine to be comparable to an HH Scott 299A in performance, and off the charts for looks in a 1957 brick ranch house.

Thanks Dave. Fun amp. I am considering keeping it, while wondering if the value will be retained over the years as fewer audiophiles will know how to work with tube amps? I am also wondering if my parents Stephens Trusonic speakers are worth keeping; I hear the quality rivaled JBL and Lansing.

while wondering if the value will be retained over the years as fewer audiophiles will know how to work with tube amps?

I think we are in a good place for getting work done on tube equipment these days. How old are you?

I am also wondering if my parents Stephens Trusonic speakers are worth keeping

Absolutely!

Bruce

Leslie, the Trusonics from that era are worth quite a lot, generally. They would be well worth keeping for their quality, and much moreso that the Madison Fielding, will be appreciating significantly over a period of time.

Stephens was part of the RCA team, alongside Lansing, that helped develop the RCA Shearer horn speakers, the single most important theater design in the US.

I sent you an email...