a tale of two buddies - my la scalas

spersaud

Hi I posted about these two La Scalas I picked up for about $800. Well I was looking for an amp, I bought a Harman Kardon HK730 from ebay, it was damaged in shipping thank god cause I didnt liek how it sounded so I got my money back. I had old amps liek a Kenwood that stopped working and an old amp made in brazil which was sending some sort of noise. But it had a meter that showed it was putting out a whopping 0.5 watts at decent but low volume.My father said it was the crossover but I had my doubts since it was both of the speakers.

Then I figured I would use the amp from my computer. A Klipsch Promedia amp that has separate outputs for satellites. Wow was I surprised, it sounded crisp clear and loud. I dont think I need any more amp than this.

Can someone give more information about these two buddies (sequential serial #) ?

More pictures here:

http://www.entracinc.com/static/00001.jpg

http://www.entracinc.com/static/00002.jpg

http://www.entracinc.com/static/00004.jpg

post-37069-13819476942816_thumb.jpg

Yes they sound great. They sound pretty good from this promedia amp. Sounds better than that harman kardon hk730 imho. My mixer has a master out that shows the distortion, its not in the red and it very loud. I think thats like a 5w amp, but it sounds damn good. 55watts Instantaneous power. but not sure what the signal to noise ratio is, hopefully I will find a better amp one of these days, still looking.

Hehe yes they are my buddies, though I ment the two of them are buddies, since they have been together since they were made.

I see you're using Jub Scalas, what are those ? I hope its not the jubilee sub, there's actualy a website where a guy copies jubilee subs. its a LOT!! of work. I am think about using the horn sub jr. (google it) ... its an easy sub project.

Plus I see youre using an ev procesor, I was thinking about using a dbx driverack too.

This hafler ta 1600 and ta 1100 amps are looking pretty attractive to me too.

dont know abt this promedia amp, I guess I was just surprised how loud it goes, but thats just the la scalas being efficient. I listened to a paul mccartney and bob marley cd classics .... well produced tracks. hearing a lot of things I dont like. These la scalas sounded way better except the noise from that old amp. these scalas sure shows up an amp

JubScalas are La Scalas with Jubilee tweeters, with either the small K510 horn (that's the one you can see in my avatar) or the much larger K402 horn (which is slightly larger than a La Scala and sits sideways on top of the LS cabinet).

The tweeters are only the start of the cost, because JubScalas (and Jubilees) are almost always actively bi-amped, meaning two stereo power amps (one for the woofers, one for the tweeters) and an electronic crossover like the E-V Dx38 or the less expensive option, Crown XTi amplifiers with built-in DSP. The existing La Scala crossovers are disconnected and not used.

Some of the benefits are clearer and more revealing sound, plus the Dx allows for delaying the tweeters, which compensates for the difference in horn length between the tweeters and the LS bass cabinets, so the drivers will be time-aligned. That gives a subtle but definite improvement in the sound.

I enjoyed my La Scalas for a couple of years before I was able to line up the components to do the JubScala upgrade. I'm very happy with the sound, but it was a big stretch for the budget.

The La Scala bass horn is not a match for the Jubilee bass horn, but with a good sub, it's certainly adequate, so a pair of JubScalas and sub are a reasonable and less expensive approximation of a pair of Jubilees.