Well, I got the noise filter...

DarkWolf

It's my birthday and one of the things I asked for was the EMI/RFI filter from Radio Shack. my mom was cool and picked one up. It seems to help a little, more than the expensive Monster Cable version did.. but I can still hear the buzzing, though not as high pitch and bad. In terms of noise and noise filtration, is it bad that I'm not grounded? I know it's bad, but will it add to the noise or at least make it harder to filter? one of my somewhat knowledgeable friends was saying that in the context of whiring speakers from amp to satalites you have a positive and a ground and as long as you have the ground than it should cancel all noise not from the sound source. I'm not sure about this, or thati'm explaining it exactly right, but maybe you can clear me up on it. what do you think about the electrical being grounded in this context?

------------------

I wish I had a space ship.

This message has been edited by DarkWolf on 02-25-2002 at 06:35 PM

Well... this thing really didn't make any difference, now that the amp is warmed up. it's as loud as ever but at least it's not as piercing as it was when it started a few weeks back. However, it was getting like that before this thing came in. I KNOW my speakers don't make this much noise at other places though, so I'm sure it's the electrical signal and since this thing has so little effect, I'm sure it probably needs to be grounded. i really can't say for sure though, I'm not an expert.

------------------

Ok, so I grounded the thing manualy, via an acces pannel in my wall next to my desk that is for the bath tub piping. Now the ground light is on, but it didn't really make a difference. At this point, my esttem of human technology is lowered greatly. Later, when my people are all sleeping i'll trade my klunky boots for my head lamp and run around the house removing all these new fangled flourecent lights from their sockets. I'll post back and see how that goes.... man.. what a pain in the ***; there are so many of them now.

hmmmm.. oh man... now that they have been on for a long time, I think grounding it may have actualy made it louder! just another antenna I guess...

Anyone know how much solar pannels cost? at this rate I will be looking for my own power dource away from the rest of the house!cwm23.gif

------------------

The ground worked for me. Do you know if the grounded outlet you are using is REALLY grounded - in older houses, sometimes they would upgrage the outlet so that it would be ready when they improved (grounded) the electric. So it looks like it's hooked to a ground wire, but isn't. There's a tester sold at hardware stores that can check to see if an outlet is properly grounded.

Good luck, the grounded speakers sound GREAT!

Like I just said. I KNOW my outlet isn't grounded, but I used wire to manualy ground them via copper water pipes that go into the ground... now the ground light is on on the power strip, it wasn't before. However, it made no real difference at all. It's not as high pitch oriented, which is good, but it's louder than ever, which is bad. I'm at a loss. I know my speakers are fine at other people's houses..

------------------

I have not actualy removed the lights, but with them all turned off i still get problems. I don't think they are cuasing it. However, it is now just past midnight and the noise is not as loud. It also is more high pitch only though. However, it is easily drowned out by quite music, but it's still there. lurking in the darkness and in the quiet. I talked to one of my knoledgeable friends about it and he wanted to get some of our other knowledgeable friends in on it too. preferably, with an ociloscope. He thinks we will have fun fixing the problem. I hope so. I also wish people would respond to my post now and then, i feel like i'm just talking to my computer here.

------------------

BigBusa,

There are many defective units of Logitech,VideoLogic and Altec Lansing speakers too.Last year I swaped THREE sets of ATP5's before getting my REFUND.

Since Klipsch sold so many of your beloved LoudMedia speakers its only NORMAL some did fail.When you produce a mountain of speakers a pile of them will fail.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by slingblade:

BugBusa... did your mother have any children that survived the birthing process?

Where is that "flame" gif?

rock on
cwm16.gif

cwm23.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>