As long as we're talking JBL---4648 pics

TBrennan

Keith---I'm using the Parts Express plateamp, it drives these babies very well, afterall the dual 4648s are 106db efficient. A big Crown running mono would get them louder, 1000 watts into a pair should give about 136 db, -3db for compression and you have 133db. But for flat response at 25 you need 6db EQ at 30 hz so subtract another 6db from that for 127db. At 25hz. Formidable performance.

Keith--A pair of 4648s would be near ideal for use with LaScalas. They have the efficiency and output to keepup with LSs plus their very low distortion will blend well with the low distortion of the LSs. My VOTs are horn-loaded from 100hz up and the JBLs work perfectly with them. Multiple large, high-efficiency drivers like this are the only way to hope to approach basshorn performance.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom:

I was very tempted to order the 4648 when you recommended them back in December, but wasn't able to for several reasons. Now that the 4648's are gone, and only the 4638's are left (assuming they haven't sold out yet), I'm still thinking about these. Aside from being 4 ohm, do you know if the 4638's are comparable to the 4648's?

TBrennan,

Nice little subs you have. Wink.gif Four 15" drivers should do the trick,even with your VOT I have little doubt these brutes can keep up.At 106dB for ONE WATT input these dont need too many watts to spank.

I was looking at the twin 18" JBL units,I like the idea of massive cone surfaces moving very little.Distortion is low and the bass speed improves.

Did you see the new JBL Ti-K sub? It performs alot like JBL PRO subs in a smaller package.I have no space to fit fridge sized boxes,if I had space I would not hesitate a minute.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ear---You get it mon ami, big area and little movement sounds best, that's why horns sound good. And using lots of cone area like I do is the only way to match the "speed", dynamics and low distortion of horns. That's actually 6-15" drivers there Ear, the 515s in the VOTs are running as low as they can too though they are about 12 db down at the 25hz where the JBLs are flat, but they're helping. The VOTs have a shelved response below 100hz where the horn part of the woofer enclosure "hands-off" to the reflex part. JMON--I think the 4638s should perform about as well as the 4648s, the drivers are of very high quality and the 4638 specs about the same as the 4648, they should certainly be low distortion devices. I'd get'em.

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 03-12-2002 at 08:51 PM

I THINK the 4648 and 4638 should preform about the same unless you pour 1000 watts into it for 8 hours a day!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I was comparing the JBL specs between the 4648's and the 4638's and it appears that the 4638's might be able to go just a bit lower. The 4648 spec sheet says it has usable response to 35Hz and the lower frequency limits are -3dB at 45Hz and -10dB at 35Hz, where the 4638 spec sheet says it has usable response to 30Hz and the lower frequency limits are -3dB at 45Hz and -10dB at 30Hz. I would also guess that both models are very comparable, but for MY particular application the 4638 may actually be slightly better based on these spec sheets.

Thanks again for the tip Tom, I've decided to go ahead and order the 4638. Hopefully they still have some left!

Shoot, throw a reverb on the sub and get 20 seconds of 2nd harmonic distortion!!!

If I was watching movies, the JBL probabely wouldn't be the PERFECT (but damn good) sub, I listen to 98% music, so little distortion is good for me. I should buy a $150 reverb and try it out!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!