Tweeter Orientation

When you replace the mid range horn in the KHorn with a wooden horn, it no longer leaves any space at the top for the tweeter. Does it have any adverse effect when you place the tweeter beside the wooden horn? Does it have any effect if you rotate the tweeter 90 degrees (long way up and down) I am not sure what the angle of dispersion is for the stock 77 tweeter. Should you put the tweeter on the right or left of the horn?

Thanks

CB

Assuming you're referring to the EV T-35/K-77 tweeter, it's my understanding that the dispersion is marginally better with the long dimension oriented vertically. PWK is said to have oriented the tweeter with the long dimension in the horizontal plane for reasons of manufacturing simplicity and economics; not for sonic superiority.

I would place the tweeters in the vertical orientation with one on the left of the squawker horn in one speaker and in mirror image on the other speaker. That way, you could experiment to decide if you prefer having the tweeters on the inside or the outside of the squawker horns.

DizR is correct about the orientation of the K77. It is the manufacturer's recommended orientation to install these vertical.

As far as inside or outside placement, my preference is to have the tweeters outside the mid horns. Seems that separation is greater and soundstage wider that way. It's subjective, though, I know people who swear by putting the tweeters on the in side of the squawkers.

I was using Bob Crites' tweeter, but I built a unit similar to that supplied by Al for his Trachorn. It was not sized to go into the K-Horn top hat, though it could have been. By flipping it over, I could have the tweeter inside or outside of the Trachorn. Listen and decide for yourself. I liked the tweeters outside and they sounded great!

post-22480-13819486357832_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I agree that the K77 is best in the vertical. I have done significant testing with the K77 F and Bob's replacement tweeter. The K77 is superior in the vertical while Bob's is marginally better both directly above the squawker (whatever you use) aimed at you and not on either side of the squawker. I have built my system around a tractrix top hat aimed at the listening position and the khorn bottoms snug in the corner underneath.

Cheers