OT: Any experience with Megabus.com?

DizRotus

My older son (recently returned from Afghanistan via Germany) is exploring ways to get from Detroit to Chicago O'Hare the last weekend of July. He has to fly from O'Hare to Raleigh to get to Fort Bragg. The U.S. Army pays for Chicago to Raleigh. Getting to Chcago is his responsibility.

The Megabus.com site shows express (less than 5 hrs.) trips from Grand Circus Park in Detroit to Union Station in Chicago for $14.00. That seems almost too good to be true.

Does anyone here have experience using Megabus? Any opinions,whether positive or negative, would be appreciated. It's so much less expensive than flying or Amtrak, that it's tempting to a veteran on a tight budget.

DR,

I haven't used the service, but think it is legit. They are the Southwest airlines of bus service. They only serve a few cities which can fill up the coaches. The only way to get a megabus ticket is online. Not possible to buy them any other way. No phone or counter sales. No refundable tickets. They just don't have the overhead of Greyhound.

God bless your son for his service to the country. I know you must be delighted that he is home from Afganistan.