Bass Plate

Wrench722

The room is 45x30 and sound system is on the long wall.

Surprise That's not a room that's a real full size movie theater ! Wink

It sounds big. But the big problem is there is a door on every wall. So it is like I am putting a system in the middle of the room.

I'd think that you would want a lot more output than that. For a room that is essentially 11,000 cu ft, you need a LOT more horsepower than a singe 15. I would look at using 3-4 18's in a large vented box or building an infinite baffle. ( assuming you have another room that you could use for the backwave )

Power wise, for the money nothing will touch a pro amp, the Behringer EP2500 will do 1200 w RMS bridged into an 8 ohm load, close to 1900 w into a 4 ohm load. The EP 4000 is a newer update of the same amplifier, it has a newer faceplate and updated graphics, but it's the same under the hood.

Most all pro amps have different input connectors than home amplifiers. These can be connected with a cable that has an RCA connector on one end and an XLR on the other, or a cable that is RCA > 1/4 Mono. You can get these at a lot of places, even your local music instrument place.

I'd think that you would want a lot more output than that. For a room that is essentially 11,000 cu ft, you need a LOT more horsepower than a singe 15. I would look at using 3-4 18's in a large vented box or building an infinite baffle. ( assuming you have another room that you could use for the backwave )

This might work.

post-15193-1381948754559_thumb.jpg

I already have two RWS-15 and two little JBL E-250 and I want to replace them JBL,s with two subs that would out power the RWS-15,s. So I would like to use a bass plate so that I can move them around and have auto switching (on/off) and 1000 watts on a 15" sub.

MAN! CECAA850 That is cool pic!

I understand that you want to use a plate amp, but without any other parameters, that's sort of like saying you want to have 500 horsepower in a pickup. Does the pickup weigh 3500 pounds, or 8000 pounds? Without knowing what the actual power requirement of the driver in an actual box is, you could be under or overpowering it.

I still say you need a lot of horsepower. If you want to have more output than a pair of RSW-15's and you like how they sound, you may look into buying a pair of 18" pro audio drivers and installing them in 10-12 cu ft ported cabinets. Of course, depending on the actual driver parameters, and the box tuning frequency, you may only need 300 watts a piece to get to the maximum safe excursion level. 500 watts may cause damage to your wallet when you clank the coil on the backplate or tear the suspension.

Hoffman's Iron Law:

One of the most fundamental design principles that the new DIY speaker builder must
learn is generally known as "Hoffman's Iron Law". First formulated back in the
early 1960's by Anthony Hoffman (the H in KLH), Hoffman's Iron Law is a
mathematical formula that was later refined by Thiele and Small, whose work now
forms the basis of all modern loudspeaker design.

Hoffman's Iron Law states that the efficiency of a woofer system is directly
proportional to its cabinet volume and the cube of its cutoff frequency (the lowest
frequency it can usefully reproduce). The obvious implication is that to reduce
the cutoff frequency by a factor of two, e.g. from 40 Hz to 20 Hz, while
still retaining the same system efficiency, you need to increase the enclosure
volume by 23=8 times! In other words, to reproduce ever
lower frequencies at the same output level you need an extremely large box!

However, box size isn't the only variable… You can continue to use a
small box by accepting a much lower efficiency. In order to retain the same sound
pressure level (SPL, meaured in dB's), though, this requires both a
very large amplifier and a driver that can handle a lot of power and move a lot of
air (requiring high excursions). Furthermore, it must be able to do so with minimal
distortion. This is exacerbated by power compression, a phenomenon
where the power heating of the driver's voice coil results in a non-linear
relationship (read "distortion") between the electrical power in and the acoustical
power out. Another variable not often mentioned is bandwidth… You can
provide the perception of violating Hoffman's Iron Law by using a
bandpass design, which can provide a lot of bass
primarily across a very limited bandwidth. In all too many bandpass designs, the
impressive bass is produced around a single frequency. This is often referred to as
"one-note bass". It can rattle the furniture and impress your friends, and may even
be OK for sound effects in action movies, but don't expect too much accuracy when
listening to music with a lot of low bass content.

Summarizing, Low-frequency capability, box size, and efficiency form the three key
aspects of system design. To increase any of the three, you have to give up
something from the other two, with box size being the most sensitive. The often
unpopular bottom line is therefore to plan on using the largest box you can
comfortably live with. This partially explains the popularity of subwoofers, which
can be both large and hidden from view, and often include their own built-in high
power amplifier.