more info on JBL4638

h2xmark

question, does the 4638 have seperate speaker leads for the two subs? or do they use only a +and- and it splits up in the box/ can i use a 2channel amp or do you have to use a mono amp and are the 15" subs 4ohms each or 8ohms each parallel for a total of 4ohms/ would like to know if a samsom 1000 2channel amp would work on this speaker setup thanks Mark

I'm expecting my JBL 4638 cabinet any day now and already have the (kenratboy) recommended PartsExpress 250W subwoofer amplifier. Question:

The JBLs are rated at 4 Ohms. There is nothing to set on the amp for this, is there? The power output of the amp is a function of the impedance of the circuit (the speakers), correct?

Sorry, I'm a software guy, not a EE. Thanks.

CT

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

=====================================

Kenratboy,

I always thought that I was pretty smart, but how in the ... do you work the speaker posts on these things. When I push in on the button, it covers the hole. With the button out the wire is not trapped. I am going to put two pair of 5 ways on it tomorrow, but now I just have the wires clamped on with some large alligator clips.

Jim Norvell

You are right, those connectors are tricky little *$!*%+'s. The hole you need is on the BOTTOM. You will need to PUSH each terninal in to open the hole, and RELEASING it will hook onto the wire. As far as I know, BLACK is POSITIVE. JBL has it different than the norm. You should be able to figure it out by listening to kick drums or other defined bass music and watching the woofers. You will be able to use bare wire or pins, I recommend the latter even though I use tinned speaker wire.

Good luck and enjoy!

Got it. Thanks. I plugged mine in as a substitute for the woffer in one of my La Scalas and then tuned my ALK xo9ver for 13 dB down on the mid range. Sure is lots deeper base than the La Scala. I am trying to decide if I want to buy another one. My next setup will be to bi amp with my Bryston 4B to the JBL. The high damping factor should give better control over the woofer than the 300B SET that I now have it plugged into.

http://www.jblpro.com/Tent_Sale/sale_items.htm

GO!!! Buy one NOW, they will probably run out soon. They are ~$216 WITH shipping. After you order, wait 48-72 hours and CALL JBL Pro and ask if the order was sucessful. You will NOT get a phone or e-mail responce. You will have to call them, they are nice on the phone, so don't hesitate to call daily until things get worked out and it's a go.

Remember, this thing is BIG (4' X 2' X18"), so make sure you have room.

GO, GO, GO!!!

I found a way to confirm your online order for the tent sale.

I inadvertently typed in 1 wrong number on my credit card. A JBL rep called me the next morning to confirm my credit card number and "bingo" I was able to confirm my order cwm30.gif!

------------------

This message has been edited by edster00 on 03-06-2002 at 05:29 PM

Oh, thats smart. It only delays your order until the person calls.

Whats wrong with calling them, they all have computers infront of them with the info, so just call daily with the info and see what happens.

Like I have said, they DO NOT update the quanities, so they could have 1 JBL 4638 left.