Does anyone make a "budget" 5.1 switch?

jhoak

I have a LG Blu-Ray player with 5.1 out (7.1 actually) and an old Yamaha SACD/DVD-A player that I want to hook to the 5.1 input on my Outlaw Pre/Pro. I've been looking for switching solutions but without spending a boatload of $$$ I'm striking out. Does anyone make something that will work without plunking down a pile of Benjamins?

• 3 weeks later...

I would imagine that getting all the cables you need will cost a lot more than the switch on monoprice. I'm not sure if you'll encounter any problems using Y cables the way you're describing but I'd feel more comfortable getting the switch that was made for such a thing.

This looks like the ticket: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10112&cs_id=1011201&p_id=3027&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

4 sets of 6 inputs, one set of 6 outputs....

And it looks like the remote has discrete IR on it so you can directly access any of the inputs.

I hadn't seen that because I was looking for audio switches, and not component video switches. I suppose that would work for audio; it's just a switcvh after all. But it's 6-channels and not 8!

I suppose, for my own application, I could switch the Blu ray and SACD main 6 channels through the switch and run the Blu ray back channels directly into the receiver (since the SACD doesn't have those). Not bad I placed a large order last winter, I'm sure shipping and handling will dowble the price of thie single item shipped to Canada. Edit: $10.50 for shipping and handling to Canada: not too bad.

Thanks!