Looking to add outdoor speakers, how/where would you put them?

Well, it looks like we are going to finally close on selling our previous house this week. I told my Wife that we would add a patio to our new house once we had officially closed on the old house.

I want to add a couple of outdoor speakers and thought I would get some input from how others might go about doing this. The patio will be a poured concrete (exposed aggregate) patio that will be right at 500 square feet. It will go from the end of the windows on the left to the end of the windows on the right.

On the other side of the windows on the left is our family room where I have a Marantz 5001 hooked up to a small family room system. I was planning on using the second zone from that receiver to power to the outdoor sepakers. The family room is over an unfinished basement so wireing is made easier. I have also thought about just getting an additional receiver for the outdoor system if need be (although, I'm not sure where to the best place to put it would be).

I was tenatively planning on putting two AW speakers mounted on the house but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks

Posted Image

Patio will go just to the edge of this window on the left

Posted Image

And to the endge of this small window to the right

Posted Image

I have a pair of Klipsch outdoor speakers and they came with brackets that allow you to attach to vitually anywhere you like then tilt/angle for best results.

If I were you, I'd attach the brackets under the overhang (looks like wood) at each end of the house then you could angle the speakers to get the best sound. It looks like you have the perfect setup for outdoor speakers. Not everyone has a nice overhang in the back of their house. I only have an overhang in the front of my house so mine are attached to the wrought iron rail that borders the stairwell to my basement. Not ideal but those big Klipsch outdoor speakers sound so good I can't really complain.

A nice pair of white outdoor speakers should blend in well and sound great. Good luck.

Edit: If you don't want to drill holes in your overhang, the other option would be a pair of the "rock" speakers. You know, the ones that actually look like rocks. I haven't heard them myself but I understand they sound pretty good and you could set them in your mulch so nobody would know where the sound was coming from.

I agree with Gary's comments. Also I have heard the rock speakers and they are Fantastic. I believe they even have a color that's pretty close to your mulch color.................so the best of both worlds.

That being said- myself, I'd go with the overhang speakers where they are up and somewhat out of site. Plus less chance of them being stolen. :>(.................

I am trying to determine how I would go about wireing either option (hanging or rock speakers) to get them to the receiver in the house. Even though the receiver is just on the other side of the window, I'm not sure of how I would run wires from the the overhang to the family room.

I should also check out the rock speakers, I haven't heard any decent brand of rock speakers, only the cheap ones.

Can you run the wires where the cable goes into the house, assuming you have cable? You already have outside wires coming in somewhere. You can tap into those or drill a new hole. See how the pros seal/caulk those lines going in. it's pretty easy. It looks like you could run wires behind your gutters to hide them. If you get the rock speakers, just bury them in the dirt. First you'll want to protect them with some kind of wire holder/protector thingy (that's the technical term).

I would use a mortar bit to drill thru the wall between bricks. Choose a location that works best at one of the 4 corners or the window, I think you said that left window was the room where the receiver is. If you use mounted speakers put them on the overhang as suggested with a couple of different mounting locations (spread) for sweet spot adjustability further out into the yard. If you go for the "Rock" speakers run the wires low thru the wall and pull thru PVC conduit with the conduit in the concrete. Place a couple of 90 degree unions up to concrete level and cap off for additional placement options. I would get some outdoor environmental boxes (just A/C outlets) to close up from the weather. Mayhaps runs both options for very little bucks and choose later.

Home Depot etc has the thru wall cable grommets and you can caulk/silicon them to seal up

I've got a Rock here if you'd like to give it a listen. I think I'm going to be installing it with a 800 SW sup on the building just about 15 feet away. Probably will hook it all up to a Crown D150 or similar amp.

Michael, I'll have to take you up on that. My Wife is up for either options (Rock or otherwise) so I'd like to take some time to listen to both options (and hearing a rock outside would be a big help).

Just a thought.

I used to have a stereo mounted on the back wall of my garage. Sounded pretty good (just ask Dr. Who), only problem was with the speakers in the back of the garage, pointing toward the door, I was embarassed by how loud the music was outside, even at low levels in the garage. I was concerned about the neighbors not having the same taste in music as I.

In my new house, I mounted the speakers on the front of the garage walls facing in, thus allowing me to turn it up considerably more and not annoying my neighbors.

I see you live in a subdivision, I wonder if your back door neighbor wants to listen to your music EVERY time you do. That in mind, I would consider mounting the speakers away from your house and pointing at your house, so as to contain the noise "polution" that your creating for your neighbors. That's where I think the Rock style speakers would shine. Or, you could build a "doghouse" for the speakers, and put a hinged door on them to protect them from the elements out in the yard, maybe decorate around them.

Plummer-Those are some good points for sure. I am really liking the idea of a couple of rocks pointing towards the house. Two rocks should do it?

If your asking me If two rocks are enough, I have no idea. Seems like a good place to start though. My personal thoughts are that they are more of a compromise than I'd be willing to make sonically. That's why I suggested some boxes be built in the back yard with a door on them to protect some type of industrial speaker during inclimate weather.

If memory serves, Trey did advise that even the rocks need to be moved indoors for winter.