Finally got my Cornwalls

Bum

This is my first post but I have been reading for several month. Finally satisified a 30 year craving for vintage Klipsh last night, I picked up a pair of single owner 82 Cornwalls with the factory stained black birch in beautiful condition, looks and sound. My plan is to build a 2 channel system around the cornwalls, my new dilema is what to use to power them, my old NAD 7175 has too many problems to do the cornwalls justice.

From reading other posts here, I know that tube amps are preferred by many, but I'm leaning towards the emotiva gear. Have any of the Cornwall owners on the board tried the Emotive UPA-2 or XPA-2 with the Cornwalls. The UPA is 125 per channel, the XPA is 250, I know the XPA might be overkill but I like it loud. Looking to also grab the new emotiva analog preamp and their new cd player if I go the emotiva route.

Appreciate any thoughts

Bum

I used a UPA-2 with Cornwalls for a couple of months. For me it was a good match. The UPA-2 is very neutral. I never felt that it added or took anything away from the music. Good dynamics and LOTS of headroom with Cornwalls.

Unless you're planning to (1) damage your hearing (2) completely piss of your neighbors or (3) launch the cones in your Cornwalls across the room the XPA is WAY overkill. The UPA will drive Cornwalls to painful sound levels with ease. Mine barely got warm after hours of play at fairly high volume levels.

I'd still have mine but I came across a pristine Marantz MM9000 and there wasn't room in my cabinet or my budget for both amps.

Welcome to the forum & the Corn club. I have no experience with the Emotiva gear, but as others said even just a FEW watts provide ear bleeding volume levels. It's all about the quality of the first couple of watts.I highly encourage you to read & read some more here on the forum before selecting your amp. Even better go listen to some ohter members Cornwalls & there gear before selecting, it will save you a lot of money in the long run. If your in Texas your welcome to audition my system.

Best of luck,

Cornman