Question about hooking up these 4638s

Maximo

Ok I am running a Sony STR-DE945 that powers my RF3s RC3 and RS3s. I am getting one of these JBL 4638s cause everyone is raving about them hehe. I have an older Yamaha integrated receiver and am wondering if it will work to power these speakers. If so how would the connection go between the 2 amps.

Thanks

Mike

This message has been edited by Maximo on 02-27-2002 at 10:23 PM

Maximo: Use your SUB OUT from the Sony and take it to one of the AUDIO IN's on the Yamaha (it could be any of the inputs, really). I believe you can use only one channel from the Yam, though, running both L/R outs into the JBL could KILL the Yamaha from a difference in whatever. The problem is you will have to live with the hi-pass on the SUB OUT that SOny build into the receiver (if its adjustable in the Sony, GREAT!)

Both of yall: If the receiver/integrated is powerful enough, it should be fine. In real life, a few REAL watts should make the JBL's scream. The sensitivity is over 100dB. However, the amp must support a 4 ohm load, watch that unless you want a habatchi or dead amp.

If the amps fail, get the famous Parts Express subwoofer amp, I have one and it could easily BLOW my JBL sub (its a little better than the 4638) and mines 8 ohms, yours is 4 ohms, so the sub amp would have even more power.

Enjoy the sub!

Yeah the Yamaha has a 8ohm/4ohm switch on it. And the Sony has an audio out RCA jack.

My other question is I wonder if I could take just the sub out from the sony into the Yamaha (cd input or whatever). The gotta look up in the SOny manual to see if it has a different adjustment.

I take it the JBL has 2 sets of speaker jack ins. and I will prolly just wire them in series and see how the amp does. Its an old prologic amp and I really dont care if it blows it hehe.

Thanks

Mike

This message has been edited by Maximo on 02-27-2002 at 10:28 PM

NO! The JBL has only one input. If you wanted, you could drill through the input plate (it's OK, 1/4" particle board) and wire the sub as a STEREO SUB, or get a splitter and just have a dual-mono sub, that would give you the most bang for your buck.

quote:

My other question is I wonder if I could take just the sub out from the sony into the Yamaha (cd input or whatever).

Yes, this is what you should do. The only problem, which I stated earlier, is that you will not be able to adjust the hi-pass filter unless the Sony will let you, if you can, you are good to go!

Were here to help, tell us if you get it working well once you get it!

max, you do want to use the Sub Out on your sony. not a full range audio out. i've heard the sony 945 does have adjustable crossover so you want to go sub yes & set it between 40-80. whereever it blends right w/ your rf-3. the jbl has one set of speaker terminals so set the yammy to 4ohms & mono mode if it has it. or use a direct input or tape monitor jack if it has those.

------------------

My Home Systems Page