help with amp pre amp connections

Montigue231

hey guys i need some advice here.. ive never used an amp pre amp set up ive always ran the basic AVR with my system.. Now i want to use my Denon 3805 as a digital pre amp/ processor and also run the rear and center speaker while my yamaha integrated amp just runs the mains? can this be done ? i know i can use the denon as strictly digital processor but can she run the speakers too ? how to do this ...ty

I would think you could run speaker wires from your AVR to your center and rears like normal. Run RCA's from your LF and RF AVR pre-outs to your Yamaha, then speaker wires from your Yammie to the speakers.

when you say rca s from Denon pre out lf and rf to yamaha..where do the RCA s connect to the yamaha ? ty for your help

ok I got it figured out, its actually easy ( denon PRE OUT fronts >> yamaha EXT IN). I love the two channel sound of yamaha with my flagship DSP A1 ( its an awesome external 2 channel amp!). Although the surround fields Dolby Digital / PLII /7 Channel stereo is all much better sounding on the Denon. So this is working out perfectly .

I only wonder what is the proper settings for volume control bass and treble when doing an external amp like this, all those functions work on both amps and i just know theres a sweet spot setting . I just havent found it yet

I would leave the tone controls alone on what you're using as a pre-amp and use them on what you're using as an amp if need be. I would imagine that you want to send your amp the cleanest undistorted signal possible.

Thats interesting Monty, I was thinking about doing something like that myself but was wondering how the settings would impact the amp. Like what in the preamp does the functions work/not work. Obviously have to level match, does the master volume on the receiver work all channels, or do you have to use the amp knobs seperate?

Thats interesting Monty, I was thinking about doing something like that myself but was wondering how the settings would impact the amp. Like what in the preamp does the functions work/not work. Obviously have to level match, does the master volume on the receiver work all channels, or do you have to use the amp knobs seperate?

The signal going out a pre-amp output is raised and lowered along with the pre-amp's master volume, controlling all speakers at once. If it didn't it would be considered a line-out which is what most CD and DVD players have.

Of course, you will have to adjust the amp's gain controls if they have them.

Mr RF62 The only thing that is disabled when doing this is the sound fields on the yammy ( external amp in this situation) everything else is fully functional. When the on board processor detects in input in EXT in it goes to external amp mode. The Denons pretty much in full control therafter

So far im testing everything out with my bookshelfs, I dont yet know how much of an imporvment it is going to make overall with the big system. I have big expectations lol...thanks wuzzer for your input. will try that..i guess ill leave the master volume on the external amp at the half way point to opener up for the pre amp... i think

This has made a considerable upgrade for me.,.. The first song i listened to was a jazz remix of " the closer I get to you" ..I had my kg 2.5's hooked up to the system on the kitchen table and i could literally feel the bass..The yammy's external amp feature can SING ! no more setting to small

Ok after hooking up to the big system and playing back all sources I realize this wasnt an upgrade. The problem is the signal is passing threw the Denon electronics ( which is a down grade from the yamaha) then going out to the yamaha fronts..It sounds like the Denon but with more power. This is actually a downgrade.

I decided to go instead with the Emotiva xpa 3 to run the fronts and center channel. I think this is the cheapest and best sounding way to go, the unit is only 600 bucks. Im sure the amp can handle my legends set to large. What do you think Mr RF