High level out question

gooseman1

I have a sub 12. It is connected using the high level inputs and outputs to the front speakers. I noticed that if I put my stereo reciever on and play music, it will come through the speakers even though the subwoofer is not on. I just found it strange that the speakers were playing and the subwoofer was off. Will it damage anything if I let it play this way? I am just worried about the amp in the sub and in my reciever. I just figured that I would have to have the subwoofer on to activate the high level pass filter.

To the best of my knowledge (been wrong before) the filter in the sub only knocks off frequencies above it's set point and sends the rest to the sub. It does nothing to the signal going to your speakers. Your speakers should receive the full signal from your receiver even though they pass through the sub. If you don't want the full signal sent to your speakers, you'd have to use the receivers bass management along with a low level signal to the sub.

Klipsch refers to the high level outputs as "passthru" which as far as I know means that the high level outputs don't filter any bass from the high level inputs. I would highly doubt any subwoofer damage would occur by listening to your speakers without the subwoofer being on.