Cary SLP98L vs Peach II

Macallan

I've owned the Cary SLP98L and considered it an excellent design.

The 6SN7 tubes especially as implemented in this pre-amp offer excellent sound reproduction. I actually prefer the kimber caps for coupling positions more than oil-filled types in my system anyway.

Hum and Noise was also no issue in my system using Khorns at the time.

mike tn

Haven't heard the Cary, but in that league, the sound might have a recognizable difference in reference sound.

"Better" would be a subjective leap, IMO.

Anything that is a genuine improvement over a JMA preamp, more power to em. That would be truly hard to find.

I have a Cary SLP-94L along with the Peach and even a Peach II that I have yet to take out of the box. In fact, I also have an SLP-70. All are very nice sounding preamps. While I never did a direct comparison, I think I would say that these preamps are in the same league. When I got the Peach, I took the SLP-94 out of my main system. Again, I can't say I did a direct comparison as I would be relying on my memory for that, but the sound certainly didn't degrade when the Peach was inserted in place of the Cary. I don't think there was a huge difference in sound but I did like the HT bypass that the Peach had and was probably the main reason I used it over the Cary. One day when I get more time I'll probably do a side-by-side comparison. Until then, I could happily live with either of these very fine preamps.