kg 5.5

slovell

Try something new if you can afford to, but, hang on to your 5.5's. I sold my first pair of 5.5's and regretted it. I recently found another pair and am very happy to have been able to add them to my stable of assorted Klipsch and other types of speakers.

I have found that there are many good speakers out there and if you have the room and the ability to check different ones out, it can prove to be very interesting as well as fun.

Tom

am i crazy for still loving the sound coming from my 5.5's after fifteen years, or should i try something new ???

kindest regards, sam Cool

Careful Sam! Have you been bitten by the bug? Is up-gratis getting the best of you? Are you starting to wonder if anything could possibly sound better?

It sounds like you may have been bitten by the upgrade bug!

I say Run (don't walk) to the nearest Doctor and see if you can get a shot or something, before it is toooooo late!

In all seriousness, if you love your speakers, then they are doing what they are supposed to do, make beautiful noise. Why Change? You have some of the finest speakers ever made. So, why fix it?!?!

Unless you're thinking about the Heritage Line???? [:P] LOL

I'm glad you still love your speakers, it really makes things much simpler! [;)]

Dennie

Bought my KG5.5's new and still have them so if you are crazy, then you have a boat mate as

we are in the same boat! They are a great speaker, especially for the money.

This year I finally bit the bullet. Replaced my tweeter diaphragms with titanium type from

Bob Crites. It was night and day difference! Thought while I was at it to swap out the old

stock crossovers so just ordered them from Bob as well and saved myself the time to

build them myself. It was oh so very well worth it. :-)

If you are considering something new, try the upgrades first. It's MUCH cheaper and

the sound will boggle your mind...as in why didn't I do this sooner?!

Andrew

Bought my KG5.5's new and still have them so if you are crazy, then you have a boat mate as
we are in the same boat! They are a great speaker, especially for the money.

This year I finally bit the bullet. Replaced my tweeter diaphragms with titanium type from
Bob Crites. It was night and day difference! Thought while I was at it to swap out the old
stock crossovers so just ordered them from Bob as well and saved myself the time to
build them myself. It was oh so very well worth it. :-)

If you are considering something new, try the upgrades first. It's MUCH cheaper and
the sound will boggle your mind...as in why didn't I do this sooner?!

Andrew

Hey Andrew, I agree 100%! I just replaced the crossovers in my 1979 La Scala's with Bob Crite's(B&K Sound)Type AA/A convertible crossovers. Why didn't I do it sooner? I just thought there is NO WAY these beautiful speakers could sound any better! Boy, was I wrong. It was like someone took a blanket off my speakers and I was hearing them for the first time. WOW!

Great recommendation on updating/replacing the crossovers. After 15 years, they just may not be what the used to be and it is relatively inexpensive as far as upgrades go.

Dennie

i guess i should 'fess up. i bought a pair of jamo c6's a couple of years ago 'cause i was bitten by the upgrade varmint (varmints bite, critters don't. according to ellie may clampett), put my 5.5's away and settled in with the jamos. i thought they sounded pretty darn good and after a couple of months decided to sell my 5.5's. found a buyer for them, got them back out and set them back up just to check them out and make sure all was well for their prospective new owner. you can probably guess what happened next. the 5.5's just literally blew away the jamos as i sat stunned in my chair feeling fairly stupid. i guess you can probably guess what happened next. called my prospective buyer and apologetically backed out of the sale, put the jamos on ebay, called bob crites and ordered his titanium diaphragms. the titanium domes really opened up the top end and gave them a sparkle they didn't have before. i'm planning on replacing or having crites rebuild the crossovers next. i still find it amusing to realize how the upgrade varmint will make your mind and ears play tricks on you. if nothing else i learned one valuable lesson from the jamos: a six inch speaker is not a woofer, not even three of them. also, it would seem that i would have to spend a hell of a lot of hard earned cash to better these wonderful old dinosaurs. they are the best damn rock 'n roll speakers i've heard to date. i've really enjoyed everyone's replies, keep them coming !

kindest regards, sam [H]