Peach II left/right levels?

lotusmark

I don't know if the difference was stated as large as that but...this came up once before and I think Mark said it was fine. You might just have some differences in the tubes. I don't know how much difference you might have on the knobs before you might have something to look for under the hood.

One easy way to check is to switch to HiZ mode......note if there is a balance issue and then replace V1 if so. The HiZ mode only uses the V1 tube. It may be V1 or if the issue is not present in HiZ mode it may be one of the other tubes. As Richard pointed out a certain amount of difference in the level controls is totally normal. When you max out both level controls do they line up with one another? You can loosen the set screw and adjust the knobs themselves.

Edit: This is all assuming you have a balanced source input and your amp and speakers are working properly on both channels as well. In other words I assumed you troubleshot the issue to the Peach.

Quoted from Mark regarding Peach I. I assume II to be the same.

Here are the plusses and minuses of the two modes:

LoZ
+ drives very low impedance loads such as 5KO
+ drives cables up to 50 feet long with no ill effect
+ drives multiple amplifiers such as main and subwoofer
+ or — has a slightly more extended (really slight) top end.
+ often perceived as having tighter bass control, (although that's not my personal opinion.)

HiZ
+ Is the shortest possible signal path (passive components), and least active components between input and output
+ Has the lowest distortion
+ Has the lowest noise
+ Has (IMO) the most clarity
+ Has the least interaction with the PSU
— "Ideally" should be driving modest length cables (6ft) and into a load of about 47KO or more. Even better at 100kO
+ or — has a very slightly less extended top end.

If you use LoZ mode, V2&V3 MUST be the same tube type because each tubes is fully specific to one channel. So, if you want the L&R to sound the same, you need the same tube type in each.

When using LoZ, you MIGHT find your level controls widely different from each other. Left at 2 o'clock and maybe Right at 10 o'clock. This is NOT A PROBLEM, nor should it be a concern. That's WHY we have those controls. It is making up for all the combined small differences between tubes, resistors, and even speaker placement. Don't fret over this - the controls are doing what they are meant to do.
md