HF-81 ? Mobile

NOSValves

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mdeneen

I asked him the same question in another thread here's what he did to fix it.

"Turned out the problem was just an intermittent ground on the "-" end of one of the speaker terminals. When I got it working, it sounded wonderful. Have it taken apart now for sanding, painting and polishing I love this stuff!!!"

------------------

HH Scott Tube FM Tuner LT-110B

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

Thanks everyone. Wouldn't have done it without the encouragement from Mobile.

Going to refinish the tuner when it arrives next week (for which I've come to learn I WAY WAY WAY overpaid) Smile.gif Oh, well.

I'm going to start another thread in this section on the -81 vs. the Super Amp. Stay tuned!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Yeah, like he said Smile.gif

Actually, the whole amp can be broken down into the motherboard (or whatever you call it) and a bunch of panels (sides, top, bottom, grill, front and brass plate).

I had to paint it with one of the side panels attached to the "motherboard" because I couldn't get to the hex nuts on the back side (stuffed with radial capacitors). Other than that, it went really fast and easily.

BTW, if you have a digital camera, it helps to take pictures of anything you're redoing if you forget how it goes back together (like which screws go where).

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris, I know you probably didnt try this, but if you want to view perhaps the ugliest thing known to man, try listening to your HF-81 sans panels! IT is a horrifying sight to behold, but I have to say, it sounds the BEST by far. The best my little EICO sounds is with every single panel and plate removed, including the bottom (the side panels are KEY to the whole affair). The NUDE HF-81 resting with the egdges on navcom pucks sounds more open, detailed, and with a blacker background than the stock unit sans top. It's just so damn ugly, it is hard to take.

I know you wanted the top for the tike protection, but it also sounds better with this removed. It also makes the tubes and transformers far less hot as that grill holds in a lot of heat. If you have noticed, the power trans does get VERY hot with the EICO. And the output nearest the power trans is warmer than the farthest unit, simply from the proximity to the hot as hell power trans.

BTW, bypassing the balance brings a better sound as well.

kh

Yeah, I remember the picture from your (then) girlfriend's apartment that the top was off.

I'll give that a try when I'm home alone some Wednesday, but this unit sits on a sofa table in the living room. My wife is very understanding but I think she'll draw the line at having to see the -81's "belly button lint" cwm6.gif

Of course, maybe I could hit the motherboard with some of that "Chrome Magic" that I use on the cooktop in the kitchen. Boy, it really brings a shine right up!