• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Money?

Unemployed.

Until I have the flow, I have been looking for leads

on any Vintage Tube gear Locally.

Estate Auctions, Auctions, Antique shops, Older Television repair joints, Hock shops.

(I'm trying to possibly find some NOS 6DJ8 or equilevent locally.)

A buddie of mine is a dispatcher for WSP, He told me that an Ex-trooper works at a place called Radar Electric and is into vintage Tube amps.

They know me well down there, I'll have to rap with him.

(Some Empoyee at one of the Hock shops is into tubes as well, I need to rap with him too.)

I would like to at least audition a Vintage/New tube

unit, easier said than done in Eastern WA.

There is a distributer for MATAMP guitar amps, they advertise a HI FI 5-20 LUX Stereo Tube amp with 2 EL 34's on the website. A Mullard design, I guess.

I could never afford one of these triple-plated monsters, but I may be able to listen to one.

But I'm not crossing my Fingers.

Of course, there is always Fleabay.

Thigs will start Rollin' soon, it is warming up.

(It's a excellent day today, I need to go out and enjoy it.)

Patience is a Virtue, so they say.

I hope you don't mind me floatin' ya a Email with some questions if I do come across something, Mr.kh.

I respect the Knowledge that you and Ole MikeD have.

THANX!

Well this Cypress HF-81 is up over $200 with HOURS still to go ...

But it looks very clean and seems to have UK tubes throughout. Think I'll chase it and see what happens Smile.gif

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Well guys, I scarfed it. My twin brother is getting an early birthday present. I'll talk him out of the Sony amp he was going to buy ...

I don't have the heart after three months of restoring the Klipschorns to tackle a total rebuild.

Well, I suppose there's some distinction to paying the highest price ever for an -81 on Ebay. And like Kelly said, it was going to go for significant dollars.

Still a deal if the amp sounds half as good as everyone here says.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Well, carpe diem ... I think I'm a little soft when buying presents for my brother ... He works his butt off and never, ever complains. He's been doing 24/7 duty for three months now taking care of my dad while the cancer thing plays out. I've been parachuting into Hilton Head every weekend trying to help him out, but as far as I'm concerned, he's the man. Reading all those other posts last night from Soundog, HornEd; well, life is short and we need to care for the ones we love. We don't always have the time to say "thank you" unless we make it.

Anyway, here's the note from the seller:

"Hi there, Chris, and congratulations. I think you'll be very pleased. I agree that the price isn't cheap but when you hear the amp (and see it), you'll feel otherwise. The tubes alone are probably worth more than $300. I'll pack it very carefully (double-boxed, with tubes shipped separately) to make sure it arrives safely."

------------------

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris,

It sounds like it's gonna be a great unit. I will eventually get one of these beasts but right now I'm up to my eyeballs in trying to figure out how I'm gonna pay for the Laurels I just bought, and a preamp to go with them. Please hook it up to the Khorns and let us know what you think of the unit...

Mike

I was thinking about doing that ... just for grins.

Was also thinking about painting it satin black as Kelly had suggested. I think that's about all that needs to be done right now ...

I suspect I'll get blasted by our friends here on the board for raising the street price of these little beauties even further.

Good news is that the monkey is now off Mobile's back. It's been passed on Smile.gif

------------------

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris, Looks like a really nice unitdon't sweat the price! My curiosity for tubes has blossomed, I received a Jolida 102B last week. Got it because I liked the EL84 sound from the HF-81. The little Jolida did not disappoint, it's sweet, warm and has a musical charm. Its delivery is not quite as smooth as the HF-81's, but I suspect this is due to the lack of tube rectification. Nevertheless, it is definitely provides quality sound at real budget price. Hope you enjoy the Eico before passing it on.

Mike, this weekend I lost it too, bought a pair of Laurel IIX Mono Blocks from a Michigan seller. I too am in the hunt for a worthy preamp.

Regards,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-04-2002 at 02:53 PM

Wes,

Congratulations on the Laurels. Did you see them on AudiogoN or Audio Asylum? I believe the ones I am thinking about also came with the Ultimate upgrade and went for $1500 (same price I paid for mine). What tubes are you getting with yours?

Let me know what you think of them as I won't be getting mine for a couple of weeks. I posted a thread on the Set Asylum asking for recs on the preamp. Here is the thread:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/set/messages/19074.html

Mike

Chris,

Considering the Mullards and the shine etc. you made a cool and decisive move on that one. It is not you who is causing the elevation of prices it is that wickedly tempting "buy it now" feature which is like instant "mainlining" relief from the agony of waiting, but with a price.

Mike,

You should get fini's secrets for finding audio treasures at bare bottom prices at garage sales and thrift stores. Part of it, I know, is his ability to be an early riser.

-Pinned and Needled

Cornholed and Sodomized (I'm surprised this one hasn't been used yet),

I have purchased a few odds-n-ends myself at the local garage sales, but have not found the bargains that ole fini has. I did however pickup my '76 Heresy's with original drivers, horns and crossovers for $175. My girlfriend and I spend about one morning a month doing the garage sale thing, but I don't think Orlando is like Northern California when it comes to vintage audio. Christ, this place has only been on the map for about 25 years. Smile.gif

Mike

Mike,

They were listed on AudiogoN and do have the Ultimate Upgrade. Had traded some email with the seller and we exchanged phone numbers. After discovering I was a Michigan resident, he called my office Friday, a deal was made. They may arrive as early as tomorrow. I emailed him a UPS Shipment Label this morning as a PDF attachment. I prefer to use my personal UPS account to ship, sellers seem to like the ease of shipment as well. Just need a preamp to sample their sound.

Will let you know how they look.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Cornholed and Sodomized

Trust me, I had thought about calling him this, but I thought it was a little out of hand and didn't want to insult him, Christ!

Yep, being johnny on the spot at those Garage Sales is how to score.

It is also a PITA.

Good hobby, if you have the time and gas to burn.

Incest and Molest.

Chris, Wes, All

Chis, I don't think the price you paid was too much when you consider the Mullards that are included with the package. Mullard EZ81/6CA4s, Mullard 6BQ5s, along with the Mullard 12AX7s and 12AU7s are worth more than the price you paid. Just check out the prices for those tubes on the Tube World Inc. site. Believe it or not, you did well and the HF81 should sound absolutely fantastic. My HF81 has all NOS Mullard valves and anyone would have a hard tme getting me to give it up. Congratulations, and you should give it a spin with your Khorns just to know how nice a treat you are giving your brother. Based on what you've stated, he's worth it. I have a 13 yr old son whom I've always made a point to remind him to not wait until Christmas to give gifts and treat people well. Consider everyday we're alive as Christmas and treat everyone you love accordingly.

Wes,

As you can tell from the text above, I rolled in the Mullard EZ81s to the HF81. Congratulations to you also on the purchase of the Laurels. I knew it wouldn't be long before you had a Welborne offering within your fold. It's comforting knowing others are as addicted to music as I am, no matter what their musical preferences may be. Your preamp is just around the corner or down the road a bit, but not very far away. I found that once you start the ball rolling, you will get to the end of the road with everything you need.

Mike Stehr,

If you want to DIY your way, some months ago I had picked up a pair of Eico HF12 mono amps that are each half of a HF81. I was able to get them working by simply removing not working tubes and inserting ones that do. Needless to say I have not done anything other than connect them to speakers and a preamp to make sure they work. If you're interested let me know and I'll let you know what I paid. We can always work something out as when you actually pay. Maybe you can check with Mobile to see if he thinks it's worth your time to improve these, but the person I bought my HF81 prefers using the 2 HF12s with a Foreplay pre to drive his Heresys, so I had to see for myself.(I also have a pair of Heresys.) I'm making the offer because one person should not hog the Eico wealth.

Klipsch out.

This message has been edited by jazman on 03-04-2002 at 04:59 PM

Mike S - Yeah, I know. It wasn't meant as an insult... I just thought it was funny. I hope he takes it the right way.

Wes - Let me know what tubes you will be using with yours and what your thoughts are of these amps. What speakers will you be using, the Belles?

Mike

PS. Isn't it absolutely amazing how much talk is going on here now about the tube phenomenon? Before Mobile got here, I would see maybe one thread in 100 about tubes. Now it's every other thread. It seems like everybody has an Eico HF-81 and something made from Welborne Labs or AES (Audio Electronic Supply). Jeez, even vinyl is back in vogue...

Mike

take it the right way?...ouch however you take it....

I'll forgive your mild case of Tourette's syndrome.

(now I know why those KT88s in your amp seemed a bit greasy...also that rectumfier tube...

Just kidding, let's call the whole thing off.

-And and And

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 03-05-2002 at 03:02 PM