Forte II Minor Repairs and Manufacture Date

youngjj

Happy I am that I just picked up a pair of Forte IIs in generally nice condition in oiled oak. They are consecutive serial numbers 005393308 and 005393309. From browsing other posts, I gathered that this means they were manufactured on the fifth day of 1993. Would that be correct? Anyway, the repairs needed are for a one inch cut in one passive radiator and a dinged top front corner. I have seen advice on glueing cigarette papers on the inside of the passive to make that repair, or using a bead of silicone. It is just a slit, not really a tear. The slit is about a 1/16 of an inch wide. The corner ding chipped off a roughly 1/2 inch wide triangle of top veneer, but it damaged the side and front slightly, too. Any suggestions on repairing that? One binding post is broken off, too. A previous owner soldered a piece of wire to the stub of the post and used a wire nut to attach the speaker cable. I would appreciate suggestions on repairing the binding post, as well. Thanks in advance.

I have used typing paper with good luck to repair damaged cones. I currently have a JBL 4312 that is running this way. It had a tear 3/4 of the way across the cone and I repaired it from both sides with typing (printer) paper and rubber cement. I then coated the cones on both speakers with rubber cememt as the paper was very dry. They sound very good and can crank up there and rock out with the best of them. Has this altered the sound of the speaker, well, it might have but I can't tell the difference and the cost was a lot less than having them re-coned which was the other option, VERY $$$ for sure.