Surround Placement

John0392

Still trying to get an answer. In a thread given me by HornEd It appears that the writer suggested putting the rears at the 5 and 7 o'clock positions if you have to have the seating couch against the wall. Right now I have them parallel (sp).

also to those who might be interested I ditched the RB-5s in favor of the RF-3II along with the RC-3. I'll have to wait on the RS-3s.

Thanks to you all for helping me in this crazyiness.

As with any setup, give it a try and see how it sounds in your unique listening environment.

Good Luck.

Regards,

Stu

f>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW220 Sub Subwoofer (18 hz)

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

John:

The 5 and 7 o'clock position was probably suggested to get the speakers as close to the rear as possible. I wouldn't aim them at 12 o'clock though. When you say you have them parallel, if you mean they are facing each other with your seating position in the middle, that is usually the best way to angle them. Again, like Stu is referring to, you can then move them, still in "parallel" up and back in experiments to see what sounds best to you.

PhilH

It would be kinda difficult to hold them in place to see what sounds best. Once you mount you mount and that why I'm trying to get the best consenses before mounting. As stated now I have my quints facing each other directly parallel to my ears. I will be getting the RS-3 soon.

thanks

I have the same problem you do. My couch is right against the rear wall. I tried alot of different positions for the speakers.( alot of holes had to be patched.) According to Dolby, the most prefered spot would be on the rear wall slightly behind the listening position with the speakers facing one another. This wouldn't work for me since I only have one side wall. I went with dolby's second option which is on the rear wall facing the front of the room. Once the speakers were properly calibrated it think it sounds great. You'll be really happy with the RS-3's when you get them.

Check out dolby.com in the home theater section they show all the options they suggest.

John:

It is suggested that Smile.gif you place them on the side walls facing each other (assuming there are two side walls) slightly above the listener. You might also try them on the rear wall slightly above the listening position and facing forward. Maybe angled down, maybe not (experiment). I hope this hits it bang on for you BUT chances are you will want to experiment to see exactly what's best. I know I would have a difficult time resisting the need to know.....What if????

Unfortunately there's really no magic "one answer fits all" way of doing it. Speaker placement has a very real and dramatic effect on your system. I just can't imagine useing a "slide rule: approach. Tweeking is half the fun.

Regards,

Stuf>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW220 Sub Subwoofer (18 hz)

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

JohnO392, sorry I didn't get to your question on the other thread. But, at least you have gotten a lot of good advice on this one.

I prefer to mount full-range surrounds on opposite walls facing each other and aimed about a foot behind and a foot above where your head would be in the sweet spot.

I understand that your room does not allow for that kind of placement... and that there is only one side wall. The acoustic space your speakers have to work in is probably the most important and challenging part of good sound.

You might try having your surrounds mounted on a column (similar to the DIY one I built for the front surrounds... see my old thread in Home Theaters) and aim them toward the back wall behind your head. You will probably have to have different aiming points and dB compensation to offset the lack of one wall in the mix.

Obviously, the attempt is to use reflected sound to create an illusion of greater space in the room. Speaker placement is most often the cure for awkward rooms... you may be surprised at the outcome! Pleasantly, I hope... HornEd

Like HornEd, I prefer full-range speakers as surrounds on side walls facing each other and behind listening area. Mine are about 2 ft behind my couch. I've had this set-up for several years and love it.

------------------

Jerry

CP RULZ

------------

Mains: KG 5.5

Rears: KG 3.5

Center: KLF-C7

Subs: (2) Antique wooden coffins with (3) 12" Advents in each

Receiver: HK AVR-80

DD Processor: HK ADP-303

DTS Processor: Rotel RDA 985

AudioControl Phase Coupled Activator Series Three