Purchase CF-3's ?

Voodoo chile

Hello Klipsch fans,

I am contemplating a new member to my HT. I have a pair of KG 5.2's that I've had since 1992. I have found someone selling there Epic CF-3's. I was hoping to get some peoples input on what they think of these speakers?

They will be used in my HT setup were I watch movies, listen to rock, jazz, trip hop and some classical. They will be powered by my Yamaha RX-V992 reciever which puts out 90x5. My center is a KSF C5. Anyone know how the timbre will match up? My rears are IW-250's.

I'm getting what I would consider a great deal on them.

Thanks for any input!

Voodoo

This message has been edited by Voodoo chile on 02-28-2002 at 05:00 PM

Have you listened to them?

I had a pair of CF-4 for several years, before moving on to La Scalas. The Epic series was kind of a different path for Klipsch - the Epic Controlled Focus line (CF-1 through CF-4) sounded more different from other Klipsch speakers than just about any other line they produced. The CF series were an attempt to appeal to more traditional "audiophile" virtues - imaging, soundstaging, flat frequency response, smooth high end, yada yada yada while still retaining the high efficiency of Klipsch. What they gave up with the "slam" or "jump" factor that Klipsch is so famous for. They will sound quite a bit different than your KG 5.2 (I also have a pair of KG 4).

Not to sound too much like Julian Hirsch, but if you like the kind of sound that the CF series makes, then you'll really like the CF-3. But for heavens sake don't buy them without hearing them, unless you have a firm understanding on a return option.

Price wise, I'd think anything under $500 or so (assuming they're in really great shape) is a good deal. There's no market whatsoever for those speakers, so it's really a buyer's market. I wound up selling my CF-4 to my brother in law for $700 (original retail was $2,500).

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I say go for 'em! I have a pair of CF-2's that I bought new in '94. I think they are a wonderful speaker and with the right amplification should sound better than the 5.2's. These speakers cost 2 grand when new and will make some noise. The recommended center is the KV-4 but I was running a KLF-C7 with it and it was a nice match but not a perfect match. Good luck and tell us how it turns out...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 02-28-2002 at 04:24 PM