McIntosh mc-2505 / c-26 / mr-73

davis419b

You guys know everything including Thebes ! I am looking to get some feedback on these components. I have always wanted some Mc gear but cant afford tubes yet. I have Chorus, Cornwall, Belles and Khorns so I know its not my speakers. I am using big Sansui and Pioneer receivers but I dont think it is all about power. Looking to see if the quality of Mc sound is better than the others.

Thanks in advance, Don

It the first watt that counts.

My MC-240, 40 watts, get just as loud as any one could stand and then some. I have never turned volume past half way and have been over 105 Db at 9 feet.

I have a C-26 and a MX132.

The C-26 is upstairs and have not compared it side by side to the MX-132 I will do so next weekend.

The best thing I did for the sound of my system was replace a Pioneer Elite Surround system with a MX132, less than $1,500 used.

ALK Universal crossovers also make a big difference, I have tried three different types of X-Overs.

MC-240 also made an improvement but not as much as the other two. Could be as all the components improve there is less to gain. . . .

The best thing about MC-240/tubes - sounds good at lower volumes so I can listen with out upsetting the wife and kids.

I use a 2505 with my Corns and it is about 40 watts more than needed. Very clean and tight even up over 100db.

My next upgrade will be tubes...No need for more SS for me (but I'm keeping my 2505)

Can't comment on the others, I use a c-33 pre and love it.

I had a 2505 and really liked it with my cornwalls...... I lucked into a Sansui au-9900 that was just benched and liked it a little bit better, but it was a toss up....I finally wound up with 9 amps in my collection and sold the 2505 for a nice profit on ebay (even though I did offer it here for about a month for about half what ebay brought)

kinda wished I kept that one.....it was a very nice amp and really wished I could have test drove it with my JM BBX.....probably would have made a world of difference over the Mac pre i was running....

If the price and condition is right....you can't go wrong with a 2505.......you may want to look into a nicer pre amp ....I was never impressed with the early Mac SS preamps and their tube pres are $$$