It Might Get Loud

Islander

• Moderators

Well I did now, sounds like it will be interesting, never heard about that before.

Someone needs to put together a documentary on how things got started. Its amazing if you track back wards some of the popular names in the business, for the most part they all go back to a few bands. It would be nice to have like a family tree starting back before they were categorized into individual styles how each led to the other and by who. When it comes down to it it's not that many people really but some really changed how things turned around and went into different styles.

You know how someone will jump (usually striking his head) if you blow the car horn while his head is under the hood? [:@]

If someone fired up that siren, would those dudes all jump off the roof? [:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Well I did now, sounds like it will be interesting, never heard about that before.

Someone needs to put together a documentary on how things got started. Its amazing if you track back wards some of the popular names in the business, for the most part they all go back to a few bands. It would be nice to have like a family tree starting back before they were categorized into individual styles how each led to the other and by who. When it comes down to it it's not that many people really but some really changed how things turned around and went into different styles.

At least for Heavy Metal, it has been done, courtesy of the documentary Metal A Headbanger's Journey. You could see just how complex just that one genre is, and that is staying within the realm of Metal itself. Could imagine if you start throwing in all the outside influances, ie., Jazz for progressive meta, classical for the various "Symphonic Metal" sub-genres, and so forth? That chart also really covers only a tiny fraction of just the Heavy Metal genre, let alone getting into any other genres of music. For any Heavy Metal fans, this documantery really is a must see and very inciteful as to just how the whole Heavy Metal scene came about and why so many people enjoy and still enjoy it to this day (full resolution can be viewed here).

612px-Metal_Genealogy.jpg

What, no Anvil? What's up with that? Hendrix as metal? Well, he was loud, but metal? More like psychedelic blues-rock, to me, at least.

And where would Boris fit in there? Just curious.

And what about Dethklok, the heaviest metal band of all time?

What, no Anvil? What's up with that? Hendrix as metal? Well, he was loud, but metal? More like psychedelic blues-rock, to me, at least.

And where would Boris fit in there? Just curious.

And what about Dethklok, the heaviest metal band of all time?

Like I said, it certainly was not complete by any standards. Also that "Metal : A Headbangers Journey" documentary came out in 2005, before Dethklock, which did not appear until 2007 (which, btw, is a fictional band anyway - from the Metalocalypse cartoon series from Cartoon Networks "Adult Swim"). Still, I've heard the album and it is pretty cool, although I am not that much into death metal, prefering much more the power/progressive metal.

I would imagine Jimi Hendrix is mentioned as quite a bit of the early metal was influenced by his playing. Also, I would imagine at that time, his style of playing was quite a bit harder and his music came off heavier sounding than was typical in the day.

Also that "Metal : A Headbangers Journey" documentary came out in 2005, before Dethklock, which did not appear until 2007 (which, btw, is a fictional band anyway - from the Metalocalypse cartoon series from Cartoon Networks "Adult Swim").

Of course they're fictional, but the show is fun anyway. The chart was very good and very exhaustive. Thanks for posting it.

As for Jimi, Purple Haze is hard enough to be metal, but something like Red House is totally blues, and a song like Castles Made of Sand is something else again. You couldn't really pigeonhole Hendrix's music. Here he's playing 12-string acoustic:

Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A-Comin': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKaLqATmm3g