Banana Plugs

link

My plugs touched together. I wasn't getting any sound. I was freaking out. My reciever told me to "check speaker wire". So I checked my wires and everything looked fine. Then I looked at my plugs and they were touching together. I wraped them in black tape. I was lucky I never screwed something up.

GEEZ..... like I don't have enough things that need doing. I just reached behind a speaker and without too much effort I was able to touch them together. Now I have to find a bunch of heat shrink.

Can I buy red heat shrink? or do you just do one side?

Parts Express has it- I get the 3:1 ratio shrink. I think I just did the negative sides of mine with black HST and it fixed it.

No we don't go around tugging on cables but some of us change gear around a lot. If other cables are laying on top of the speaker lines it can be enough to pull one of those banana plugs into making contact. Why risk it? A dead short is not a happy situation for today's modern HT receivers.

Michael, what size do you order for doing these?

Thanks

I'd probably get 3/4" if it's the 3:1 ratio, 1/2" might fit, just measure. The dimension is the unshrunk size.

Do you have a heat gun, if not you can use a hair dryer on high or the edge of a propane torch.

M