How will this sound?

Hey guys.. Iv'e got some set up questions for the experts. I have a feeling that I may be directed to the search function, but here goes anyway.

I'll be finishing my basement this winter, with a large portion being devoted to a full on theatre set up with projector and screen (Yes, the wife approves. Can you believe it!) Anyway, I have a pair of oiled oak Forte II's that I absolutley love. These will be the front channels. 2 weeks ago, I stumbled upon a pair of Heresy II's in finished black complete with $150 stands on Kijiji for $240 (Talk about a deal! I basically paid $90 dollars for good condition, perfectly working H II's!). Now I want to use these as rears. My question is, what would be best to use as a center. My research has pointed toward Academy, KLFC7, and KV 3 or 4 as being compatible. Does anyone have any of these speakers for sale? Has anyone built a custom center with Klipsch original parts. Maybe a H II at center and the other at rear center for a 6.1 set up? How do you think the Forte II's sound with the H II's? I knowI have a lot of questions, but who better to ask?[;)]

By the way, I'm currently using the H II's in my living room set up with a SC 1 at center, and this sounds... dare I say terrible. Hence the interest in the perfect match! Thanks for any help,

Jay

I'd agree that a Heresy II as a centre and possibly a second as rear surround (for 6.1) would work well with your Heresy II surrounds, since that's what I'm using and I'm very happy with the setup. Four Heresy IIs and a pair of Forte IIs should make a good team, but you'll definitely need a sub for movies. If space dictates that you lay your centre H2 on its side, it will still sound fine.

I should mention that I've never heard Forte IIs, but since they're part of the "extended Heritage" family, their timbre should be compatible with that of your Heresy IIs. How does the combo sound to you?

If you have Heresy IIs made in 1985 or later, with the square connector cups on the back, you can upgrade them to Heresy IIIs with the factory upgrade kit, if you ever feel the need and it suits your budget. At only $290 per speaker, the kits are a great deal and the bass of the Heresy II is noticeably improved, along with a 2dB increase in sensitivity and clearer vocals.

I think you've got a winner with the pair of Forte and two pair of HII's

It would be worth a try, IMO, to use a pair of HII's as the center. Some folks would object to this, but I've heard a pair of Heresy as a center channel between a pair of Khorns and they did nicely. No harm to try it to see if the pair carries the freight of the center channel better than a single. Let your ears be the judge.

Thanks for the input guys. I think that another pair of Heresy 2's would do well, but what do you think of the KLF C7 or Academy option? Does the C7 even mesh with heritage and extended heritage series? I've heard through discussions on the forums of a member who had tried both and was happy with either.

• 2 weeks later...

The awnser is simple. A Forte ry%3D480II is the center speaker for you. I replaced an academy with one and never looked back. The cost was only slightly more for a pair of mint Forte IIs than I sold my mint Academy for. If you are worried about the height dont be. I removed the risers from mine and tha screen is perfect height, and I now realize I can put the risers back and still have no trouble with screen height,

Nice looking trio! I've decided to keep my Forte's on the main floor for music listening, as I love them for that. I've been looking for a single black Heresy 2 to do a trio of Heresys for the front end of my theater set up. I haven't had any luck so far though. That set up must sound great, as I can vouch that Forte 2's will rock any house!

It could be quite difficult to find a single Heresy II, so why not get a pair and use the second one as a rear surround, for a 6.1 system? After all, used Heresy IIs are not that expensive. A few forum members have done that, including me.

I found a really good deal on a pair when I just wanted a single for a centre speaker. I kept the second one as a spare, but after it sat in the bedroom taking up space for a year, I decided I might as well hook it up in the living room, and I'm glad I did. 6.1 does beat 5.1, all else being equal.