Just picked up some KG4's. What is a good amp to power them?

Human Being

Hey all,

New to the forum here. I just picked up some KG4's locally for $240. Decent price? They are in super condition. She also gave me a Bang & Olufsen 3404 turntable and about 100 records (I'm a record collector so this was a nice day for me, although for my wife not so great).

I have a few questions. I have never owned Klipsch speakers and in fact have never owned good speakers at all. I have a 1990's Harmon Kardon receiver (not sure of the model). The speakers sound incredible (LOUD and BASSY) but is there a good receiver that someone can recommend to really make these things shine? I don't have a ton of cash. I am kind of looking for that cheap, cult receiver here.

Also, question about consecutive serial numbers. I don't know if they are but why would this be a good thing?

Third, they are walnut and seem to need some polishing. Would y'all recommend putting some furniture polish on these or will that degrade the quality of them in any way?

Thanks so much!

Matthew

That is a very fair price for a minty pair of kg4s. Including the TT and albums make it a steal. The cult receiver for these speakers is the 1970's Harman Kardon HK 430/630/730 or 930. This series of receivers are an excellent match for Klipsch and in particular the kg4s. These HKs are usually found on craigslist and ebay in the $50-100 range. I have walnut kg4s and use lemon oil which gives a nice factory fresh look. Enjoy and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply! It's funny, I actually have owned 2 HK 70's era receivers at one point. I cannot remember which models exactly but I still have one (although its at my house im trying to sell 1,000 miles away) and I just sold one at a garage sale (now wish I hadn't). Thanks for the tip on the lemon oil. I will give it a try.

Also, I see that these speakers have consecutive serial numbers. What is the deal with that?

Also, I see that these speakers have consecutive serial numbers. What is the deal with that?

Simply means that they were purchased as a matching pair. Many times older speakers are split up, or a single speaker is purchased and then matched to another down the road. Consecutive serial numbers means you have the pair matched as they were from the factory... a good thing!

Hey Matthew, welcome to the forum and the world of Klipsch!

I have never heard the KG4's but I bet they sound great! [Y]

I just wanted to say Welcome and we hope you stick around and share your experiences with us.

Dennie

Thanks for all the tips guys. It sounds like the 70's era Harman Kardon's are the way to go. Luckily I have one which as I mentioned is unfortunately 1,000 miles away right now. I am totally paranoid about my cats destroying these things though. Every day when I'm at work I call my wife when she gets home to check on them. Perhaps I am a bit obsessed but I really love these speakers!! Anybody have cat horror stories out there?

A leading "O" is likely "OO" the abbrev for "oak - oiled." Don't know what the written "R" might be for. Show us a pic of the grain, and we can easily tell walnut from oak. Walnut has a finer, usually uniform grain. Oak has a bolder, sometime "jagged" grain. Also, the walnut usually is browner, the oak a bit orange-y.