KG 5.5 - sound and price

Morpholino

I have been given the opportunity to buy a pair of used KG 5.5's. I would like some opinions on the sound of these, especially in relation to the KG 4.0's I currently own. I'm going to give them a listen regardless, but it'd be nice to know what other knowledgable ears hear. Also, what price would be fair? I haven't seen them yet, but I'm told they are in good physical shape. I'm not really concerned with appearance as long as the "meat" is in good shape. I will be using them mainly for music, but also as fronts in my surround setup.

Thanks,

Morpholino

Morph, I've got a pair of 5.5's I've had for years.Don't know about the KG4's, but the 5.5's will make good music speakers.They give the classic Klipsch bright/forward hi's and you probably won't need a sub for music use.I use mine for music only.

You might check E-bay but a pair in good condition should bring $400-$500.Just an estimate.That supply and demand thing determines price.

Good luck.

Keith

Thanks Keith.

The closest thing I could find on ebay was 5.2's. Your price estimate sounds good though. The asking price is on the low end of that. My experience with the 4.0's has virtual sold me already. I'm hoping I can unload a couple other pairs of speakers (Sansui 1200's? and Rectilinear III's) and put the proceeds towards the 5.5's.

The 5.5's specs claim a bandwidth down to 34 Hz with its 10" woofers. I don't have the 4.0's specs but the 3.5 has the same size woofer, 8", and claims down to 36 Hz. Not much difference. Is there more to this story? I know the 10" won't have to work as hard for the lows, but will it also be flatter across its range?

Another issue raised in the archives here is the lack of shielding. I guess it will require a home test to see if it causes problems. Hopefully not; I don't have a lot of placement leeway.

Morpholino

Morph,about all I can tell you is there will be no comparo between the 3.5's and the 5.5's.For normal music listening you probably will not need a sub.

You can probably get bucking magnets/shielding cups for the 5.5's from Klipsch parts.They used to be on the Klpisch parts list before the sad day that the parts list disappeared from the Klipsch site.That is,if you need them.

Keep in mind room/placement makes a huge difference in sound.

BTW, at the top of the page click 'products',then 'home audio',then 'classics'for the specs of these speakers.Note the sensitivity differences in both speakers.

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 03-05-2002 at 12:32 PM

I had to shield one of my 5.5s, and I think it cost around $50. I really like my 5.5s, and for the price you can't touch anything close. If you can get a nice looking/working pair for around $400 you will not be dissapointed. Just try and find something new for that kind of money out there. You won't come close to the quality and sound of a 5.5.

The KG4 in the rear would make a nice surround system. Just gotta find a way to raise them up high so you can hear the tweeter unobstructed.

Depending on your receiver you may not need a sub, as TTK suggested, but for HT a sub is always very nice indeed. A sub makes a definite difference with mine. You can be rest assured, though, that the 5.5s go down as low as the specs state, and the FR is nice a flat down into the 30s, as I have tested this with equipment.

Good luck,

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Kenwood amp for sub and shakers

Denon AVR 681/1601