An ELAC Miracord 50H chambering a round (LP).

pmsummer

Of course, every record soon had all kinds of clicks and pops, but we thought that's just the way records were.

That was only because of food crumbs and finger prints on the LPs.

Good changers (ELAC, Dual, some Garrards, with the three-point spindle) won't harm LP surfaces, as only the labels come into contact with each other (and the very outside lip of the LP rim). LPs were (and still are) designed to be stacked. LP damage was a result of careless handling on the part of the record changee, not the record changer.

You've got a point there. Neither I nor any of my friends had "good" record changers, plus a lot of the music was played at parties, with less than proper care being paid to record handling. I was even at one place where the record jackets were kept in one pile and the records in another pile. What do teenagers know?

Poor record players do damage records, though. I had a BIC 960 with a Shure M91ED cartridge in the '70s and '80s and records would develop surface noise after only a few plays, even with due care and attention. It got to the point where I'd only play a record once and record it to cassette, which was how I'd always listen to it.

That worked out well when I got my present Technics turntable with Shure M97xE cartridge, because I had all these old albums that had only been played once. It was great to hear how good they sound on modern equipment (well, the TT is over 30 years old, but nothing else is, well, other than the La Scalas, but you know what I mean).