la scala medium have problem

puppyday

hi

it s been a long time i m reading this forum , and finally i write my first post and it is for a ... problem

so i have 2005 la scala (bought it last year second hand ), my amp is a marantz 2235b ( not exactly hifi but its works ) and my source is a revox turntable with a goldring 1022

since one month ago one of my speaker have a problem in the medium ( i think ) all sounds are there but some frequencies looks much louder on the other speaker ( i switch speakers on the amp , same problem on the same speaker ). it seems that it s only medium .for example if i listen to jazz the voice looks coming from the good speakers since its slightly stronger . it seems that small sound are far compare to the good speaker . i hear it very strongly if i pass from right to left channel on my amp , if i compare .

i was planning to buy new diaphragm from bob crites , but i m not even sure that s coming from there .

second problem ( sorry !) when i put a jazz lp like nina simone or piano jazz , sometimes sound is crakling , again from the medium , this time on both !!

what to do ??? i m not a diy expert but i ll have to do it myself as much as i could since reparation are too expensive here in germany !

i reallly like my lascala , i want to take good care of them !!!

can anyone help me ???

thanks

pol

( be kind for my approximative english [;)])

thanks for the fast answers

i put my ear on each driver and its working , just the medium on one speaker is quiet different soundig , to be short the sound coming is much louder from the other one ( even if i change channel on the amp !)

can it be the crossover ?

i v read more or less similar problem on other thread and they say to losen and retighten screws but i don t get wich screw , on the driver or crossover ?(newby[:$])

pol

Welcome to the Forum POL,

When it comes to the crossover screws, you loosen and tighten everyone you can reach. You do not need to remove the screws or wires, just loosen enough to break any resistance (ohms) buildup that may have formed from rust or tarnish. Tighten the screws snugtight again. This can also apply to the connection points at the drivers. Especially if the wires are connected with the slip-on or slide-on connectors.

If you find that this fixes the problem, then I would go ahead and remove the wires one at a time and clean the terminals and connectors at the terminals and at the drivers with alcohol.

Sounds like you are losing the signal connection somewhere, whether it is at the speakers, or at the connection post at your amplifiers (mine tend to loosen over time) or even at the interconnect connection points.

Wrinkles

The 2005 Lascalas will be harder to troubleshoot than the older LaScalas that most of us are familiar with. With the older ones, we could just easily swap the midrange drivers to see where the problem is. All the connections on the 2005 LaScalas will be soldered, so really, you need some soldering skills to even be able to figure out where the problem is. You will need to disconnect the midrange driver, then, measure the resistance of it's voice coil. That should read about 11 ohms. If it reads a lot different from that, you will need to replace it's diaphragm. If that reads good, you will probably have some sort of problem with the crossover, or the wiring.

Pol,

If you want, you can send me an email and I will try to help you thorugh the troubleshooting.

Bob Crites

bobcrites@mac.com

thanks a lot for the answers

i loosen and tighten all the screws on the cross over then on the slide-on connectors of the driver ... same problem ...

but since its a slide on connector to the driver i can disconnect the midrange so do you think i should switch with the good mid ? or is it better to measure the resistance ? and by the way is there a + and - on the voice coil ?

thanks

pol

If you can switch the midrange driver, that is a good thing to do. However, your Lascalas must be older than 2005 if you can do that. What midrange drivers do you have. 2005 should be K-55X. Sounds like you may have the older K-55M drivers.

Bob Crites

hello

so i finally switch the mid range and that was the probleme , so i just have to change diaphragm !!

and yes my midrange is a k55x and its a slide on connector . and i think my lascala are from 2005 cos the serial number start by 05 but maybe i mistake !

thanks to everyone for your help!!

now i have to buy new diaphragm and try to repair it [:|]!!