Want to hear something Incredible?

gp_phan

Hello, new here - been reading for a bit and decided to write a Post.

I've been playing around with Audio Equipment for some time, consider myself a lower budget Audiophile and have stumbled across a combination of pieces that Absolutely BLOWS me away!!!!!!!

Have had many pieces and still had the itch.

I'd had a pair of KG 3.5's powered by a Harmon Kardon 45w integrated and an inexpensive Sony Cd player and two inexpensive Paradigm 10" subs, Loved that sound. Of course got the itch and started looking around, purchased a pair of RF 5's, What a huge difference!!, then picked up a McIntosh older integrated - oh my, what a difference!!, then picked up an RSW-10d - oh my what a difference, (Hey if one sounds good), picked up another RSW-10d - oh my what a difference, then picked up a Sony XA77ES Cd player - oh my, what a difference!!, then picked up a McIntosh MC2105 amp & C26 preamp - oh my, what a difference.

Of course, still had the hmmm???? what would sound even better bug:):):).

Looked around some more, read lots of reviews and bought an Odyssey Tempest preamp and an (DAC) Digital Amplifier Company - 4800A, amp. Up until this point each step was so incredible!!, But, when I hooked up the new Amp & Preamp, was NOT ready for the mind altering sound!! It's been about 10 months with the new Amp & Preamp and EVERY time I play this system my jaw hits the floor and stays there.

All the time that I was "playing" around buying this piece and that piece, I new what I wanted to hear. This system is absolutely ASTOUNDING!!!!. The difference the Amp & Preamp made was an enormous leap into the future AND made an even bigger difference than everything else combined!!!!!!!!!!.

If you are looking to have your mind BLOWN!!, like I did, get yourself an Odyssey preamp & an (DAC) Amp. I can't say enough about what a incredible leap foreword this combo has made.

Don't be afraid of a digital amp by this company, it with the Preamp COMPLETELY!!!, blew away the Mac's. So incredibly tight, clean, fast, pure, more and more and more!!

I'm SO impressed, I HAD to tell someone:):):)

Oh, I forgot to mention - got it all used from ebay and Audiogon, unbelievable prices, I've got roughly one third into it as it was retail and it's all fairly new equipment.

Best Regards

Hey Gp_Phan, Welcome to the forum! We are glad you are here.

As I get older, I find solid paragraphs harder and harder to read, so if you can, hit that return button every now and then. It sure makes it easier to read for us old guys.

Congratulations on the new-to-you gear! Isn't this a fantastic hobby?! I am glad you are hearing improvements with each step you take. [Y]

Are you running the two subs Stereo or mono? Remember, two subs are not always better than one, as one can cancel out the other.

Stick around and share your experiences with us, we love to hear about new gear and beautiful sound, after all, that is what we are all striving for!

Dennie

• 1 month later...

New here too.

Hi gp_phan,

Just found your post. Glad that you finally found the gear impressed you and thanks for sharing. Agree that a few enters will make the reading more enjoyable.[;)]

Haven't had a chance to hear this Odyssey + DAC4800A combo yet. I may go get this combo myself and see. Have you tried the DAC Cherry too?

What kind of musics do you listen? Can you share more details about the sound of this combination?

Thanks

New here too.

Hi gp_phan,

Just found your post. Glad that you finally found the gear impressed you and thanks for sharing. Agree that a few enters will make the reading more enjoyable.

Haven't had a chance to hear this Odyssey + DAC4800A combo yet. I may go get this combo myself and see. Have you tried the DAC Cherry too?

What kind of musics do you listen? Can you share more details about the sound of this combination?

Thanks

Hi cjpcsy,

Good to hear from you.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the "Cherry", but from what the DAC4800A sounds like - the Cherry has to be ever more incredible.

The sound from the "Combo" is unbelievably Tight, Fast, Accurate, Clean, Sound Stage like I've Never heard, Super Open.

With the "Combo" Klipsch RF-5's, Two Klipsch RSW-10d's, DAC4800A, Odyssey Tempest and Sony XA777ES, I ask myself "How Could Anything Sound Better".

I know it's out there!!

Having been exposed to many different "Combos" over my life time, including Home Audio and Live Performances, this is a step above all the rest!!

If you've been to Live Shows and liked what you heard, This Combo sounds like the "Live" performance is in your living Space.

Every Time I listen to it, I am Completely Amazed all over again, Every Time!!! Wink

I just can't believe that I own this system. I could go on and on about it, got to be heard to be believed.

Best Regards

Oh, I forgot to mention - got it all used from ebay and Audiogon, unbelievable prices, I've got roughly one third into it as it was retail and it's all fairly new equipment. Best Regards

Do you ever what the people that sold the stuff on E-bay and Audiogon upgraded to?Big Smile

That's the first thing I thought of each time I upgraded. [;)]

Best Regards

If you are looking to have your mind BLOWN!!, like I did, get yourself an Odyssey preamp & an (DAC) Amp.

Hi gp_phan,

Being a newbie to audiophile gear, jumping direct to what you have now is like stealing. Stealing your experience from all these years[:P].

EVERY time I play this system my jaw hits the floor and stays there

From all the positive reviews for the DAC and Odyssey Tempest, hope I am getting a good start without hurting my jaw [:#] [:D].

It seems you were just lucky getting good deals from ebay and audiogon. I just can't find any used Odyssey Tempest and DACs anywhere. I may just go get new ones. Tommy at DAC is offering deep discounts and I may just get a Cherry. New Tempest is now $1325 [:S]. For speakers, I just have the smaller RF-62 for now. Even the DAC4800A would be too much for them, don't you think?

Hope I wouldn't get it wrong for taking this short cut... Others, any other suggestions for this newbie to start with?

Best Regards

New here too.

Hi gp_phan,

Just found your post. Glad that you finally found the gear impressed you and thanks for sharing. Agree that a few enters will make the reading more enjoyable.

Thanks

Hi again cjpcsy,

I noticed that I didn't answer your question as to what kind of music I listen to.

These days I sometimes listen to some of the rock and some of the pop of the 70's, 80's, 90's (not all that often anymore).

Right now music that is very appealing and interesting to me is: Tatu, Pink, Muse, Lady GaGa, Depeche Mode, Enya, and many others.

I've always gotten a kick out of music that has kick, it you know what I mean. [;)]

What do you listen to???

Best Regards

Hi gp_phan,

Being a newbie to audiophile gear, jumping direct to what you have now is like stealing. Stealing your experience from all these yearsStick out tongue.

EVERY time I play this system my jaw hits the floor and stays there

From all the positive reviews for the DAC and Odyssey Tempest, hope I am getting a good start without hurting my jaw Zip it!Big Smile.

It seems you were just lucky getting good deals from ebay and audiogon. I just can't find any used Odyssey Tempest and DACs anywhere. I may just go get new ones. Tommy at DAC is offering deep discounts and I may just get a Cherry. New Tempest is now $1325 Tongue Tied. For speakers, I just have the smaller RF-62 for now. Even the DAC4800A would be too much for them, don't you think?

Hope I wouldn't get it wrong for taking this short cut... Others, any other suggestions for this newbie to start with?

Best Regards

Yes, I know I was in the right place at the right time with my purchases. I've seen other DAC4800a's on Audiogon before and Odyssey Tempest's.

My DAC4800a is definitely much more power than I need, but the sound amazing at ANY volume, that's what got me to purchase mine and I never use probably more that 25 watts. Sure it's overkill but I've never heard anything like it.

Sure it would be overkill for RF-62's, but who says you have to use all the amp.

Not sure if it would all make sense for you at retail prices, how's your budget?

Wish you could find used stuff like I did and that it all works flawlessly.

I'm sure you'll get many suggestions for other options.

Best Regards