I hate SONY!!

MikeW

I while back I posted a New Topic on the best settings for a Sony DB840 A/V. I received some helpful tips, thanks to all that replied. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the right settings and Klipsch speakers (RF 3 series)kept on hurting my ears. So I began to think Klipsch weren't for me...time for trade in.

Today I went to Audio Ark, a local Audio retailer, and spoke to the sales rep., who told me that I "owned one of the best speakers you can buy for the money...KEEP the SPEAKER!!". The receiver is another story. The sales rep. recommends ARCAM (ARCAM 200 A/V)or Denon.

Audio Ark had an audition room with RF 3 Home Theatre System hooked up to an ARCAM 200. I fell in love Klipsch all over again. I know I made the right choice for speakers.

Does anyone have any experience with ARCAM in regards to product and service?

Yikes...I had the RF3s and upgraded to RF7s, love em!

BUT I am driving them with a Sony 840...so your post has me thinking!! I can't afford to upgrade that part as it's less than a year old and seems to be working very good, but I'll be on the lookout for a better sounding receiver as I don't have the place for separates nor the dollars for that matter!

But another receiver...I'll have to check that one you are talking about...but then I'll have to try and sell this 840...

G2

quote:

Originally posted by MikeW:

I while back I posted a New Topic on the best settings for a Sony DB840 A/V. I received some helpful tips, thanks to all that replied. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the right settings and Klipsch speakers (RF 3 series)kept on hurting my ears. So I began to think Klipsch weren't for me...time for trade in.

Today I went to Audio Ark, a local Audio retailer, and spoke to the sales rep., who told me that I "owned one of the best speakers you can buy for the money...KEEP the SPEAKER!!". The receiver is another story. The sales rep. recommends ARCAM (ARCAM 200 A/V)or Denon.

Audio Ark had an audition room with RF 3 Home Theatre System hooked up to an ARCAM 200. I fell in love Klipsch all over again. I know I made the right choice for speakers.

Does anyone have any experience with ARCAM in regards to product and service?

Quick question. Are your speakers bi-wired to your receiver? Are they toed in? If not try both of these. I think it will help out the sound. I own the DB940 which I use to run my RF-3s and it works excellent. It actually surprises me.

Try your cheapest options first. You may not need to spend money on a new receiver or amp just yet. The DB840 is not a bad receiver.

------------------

Klipsch Reference System:

4 RF-3s, 1 RC-3, (all bi-wired)

KSW-15 subwoofer

Samsung TXF2899 27+1 TV

Sony STR-DB940 Receiver

JVC 7-disc DVD changer

Monster Cabling all around

Talk to Keith,

Your right!! I dont have the experience with SONY to state I hate SONY as whole. I just think that my cheap DB840 makes a poor receiver for the RF 3s. I made a poor purchase in the DB840 and I have made SONY enemy #1.

Jack be Knimble,

I never considered bi-wiring. Like Mike Stehr hinted at, not many message boards revealed any improvements with bi-wiring. In saying that, bi-wiring with the DB840 may work. Ill have to give it a try.

As for towing in, I already practice this technique and it works well.

On a side note, how do like using RF 3s as surrounds? Do you notice a big difference between the RF 3s and the RS 3s?

MikeW

Mike W. On the way to letting your "ears" be your guide on the "RF 3 vs. RS 3 as surrounds" issue, there are a few mind altering facts to consider.

ProLogic era (audio clue) source material benefits from "ambient" sound (RS 3)... while the discrete sound channels of 5.1 is full-range (RF 3).

5.1 (and above) program material sound mixing engineers anticipate 5 (and above) identical full-range speakers will be converting their mix into the sound you hear. Anything less is a compromise at best. Sometimes good people are compromised by room acoustics or cash resources... so, on the rocky road of upgrades... pragmatism is a necessary evil since "ear candy" has been known to rot discretionary income and alienate significant others.

Thus, scaled down, timbre compromised, underperforming specialty speakers for the center, surrounds or rear effects are designed to benefit WAF appeal and budget constraints... and not enhance 5.1 HT or multi-channel music. And that's what drives the mass marketplace. And that's important... and still leaves room for mavericks like me... and, perhaps, thee.

Of course, the closer you get to an RF 3 center for an RF 3 based system, the better the 80%+ of 5.1 sound channeled to your center speaker will be. But, that I have covered in detail on dozens of previous posts.

Enjoy your first Klipsch Honeymoon... and let its memories be incentive for further Klipsch exploration. cwm13.gif HornEd

PS: Ah, yes, exploring Klipsch alternatives, in addition to the 5 Klipsch subs, 3 KLF-10's, and 2 SB-2's held in reserve... here's how my old upscale Infinity system has been "eKlipched" to date:

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS,

FIVE+ MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

SETTING THE "THEATER OF THE MIND" STAGE...

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

CHANNELING THE MUSIC EXPERIENCE FROM 2 TO 6!

'97 Klipschorn - Mains, '99 Klipsch Belle - Center

'83 Cornwall - Surrounds, '95 Academy - Rear Effects

Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Final Amps, etc. undetermined

THE MOVEABLE (EAR) FEAST...

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome... an acoustics challenge

vandalized... but soon to be "On the Road Again!" Willie.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-03-2002 at 07:44 AM

I disagree with the full range/compromise rear speaker statement.I have both full range rears and WDST surrounds and like both.The WDST surrounds give a diffuse sound that helps to envelop the listener with not localizeable effects (ie.opening battle scene-Saving Private Ryan) whereas the monopoles are localizeable by their nature.I have my WDST surrounds mounted high on rear wall (no side walls)and even prefer them with music(7-channel)as opposed to monoploes only.Just my opinion,with my equipment,in my room.To each his own.

Keith

Thanks HornED and talktoKeith on your insite on using RF 3's and RS 3's as surrounds.

talktoKeith

I retain that I have bought the right speakers for me and this I believe is the first step to a great system. I was impressed with the ARCAM 200 and Klipsch RF 3 combo for music and movies. The SONY DB840 makes a pretty good HT receiver, but I'm not impressed with its music capabilities.

So if you like Klipsch buy them, but don't buy a SONY to compliment them. That's what my ears are telling me.

MikeW

As originally posted, does anyone have experience with ARCAM and Klipsch?

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

Do you actually think he is going to notice a difference by Bi-wiring?

Are you aware of the opinions on these boards about Bi-wiring?

Bi-amping, now thats another story.

Like my signature says, my speakers are bi-wired. They weren't a week ago, but after doing it there was a huge improvement. The sound became very transparent and harshness dropped to 0; bass, mids, and highs improved and response was faster. After noticing the big change in sound i even considered bi-amping when I have more money. A college student like myself tends to go broke so if it's not neccesary at this point i won't spend the money.

MikeW:

I'm not aware if the DB840 has a completely different amp than the DB940. My guess is its the same design with less power to all channels. I currently have speakers spread about 9-10 feet apart, both front and surrounds. I am using Monster 10 guage speaker wire and it all works pretty. Hey, if you lived near me I would have you come over and listen so you can judge for yourself and see if it's the type of sound you are currently trying to achieve. Let me know if there's an improvement after bi-wiring. Remember to use the same brand and type of cable when bi-wiring.

------------------

Klipsch Reference System:

4 RF-3s, 1 RC-3, (all bi-wired)

KSW-15 subwoofer

Samsung TXF2899 27+1 TV

Sony STR-DB940 Receiver

JVC 7-disc DVD changer

Monster Cabling all around

I've been playing around with the toe in and I think I've reduced the bite to me my ears. Rather than a 40-45 degree angle I'm in at a close 30. The angle seems to work well with my small living room (which is going to change).

I haven't bi-wired the RF 3's, yet. I'm in process of buying a new home, so I'm going to play the wait see before I invest into more Monster Cable.

MikeW

Sony's O.K!!