buying a kick butt system

nd4topspd

HI This is my first time posting and yes I am a newbie on this site.

I am fixin to drop a bunch of cash for a new system long time wanted for my home. I would like to here from everyone on whether I am going with the right setup or if a different combo would be better. Here is what I am planning to buy in the next week unless my mind changes.

starting with a Denon model AVR1910 receiver, Klipsch KLIRF62BLK floor standing speakers, KLIICONXL23B Klipsch 5.1 Channel Flat Panel Theater Speaker Pack for the center, 2 KLIRSX5BLK Klipsch 2-way Flat Panel TheaterSM Satellite Speakers, and the KLIRW12DBLK Klipsch 12" Powered Subwoofer

This is going to be making my new Sony tv Rock!!! As much money as I am dropping I am just wanting to make sure I have a killer setup and not something that won't work good together. Also how much difference in sound am I giving up going with the 62 floor standing speakers vs stepping up to like the 82 floor standing speakers?

Thanks in advance and I am enjoying reading all your posts

John

Welcome to the Klipsch forums!

One suggestion I'd make is to replace the Icon series center speaker with an RC-62. You want your front 3 speakers to match as closely as possible. Side surrounds aren't as crucial to match as the fronts are. Either that or instead of RF-62s, getting something from the Icon series as your front main speakers.

You'd really have to do an A/B comparision between the RF-62s and RF-82s to see if the difference in sound is worth it to your ears and pocketbook.

Thanks for your reply wuzzzer :-)

It is funny you say that because I just got off the phone with my sales guy and he offered a set of ICONXF48B for just a little more than what I was looking at for the rf-62s. I will take a look at the RC-62 as well but I am defintely leaning toward the icons now.

I wish I could hear both combonations side by side but oh well. If anyone can give me a thumbs up either way on which you think would Rock harder I would be very grateful

Thanks again

I've never heard any of the Icon series, so take this with a grain of salt. The particular model you refer to is a self-powered speaker. You'll have to plug each speaker into the wall and are limited by the internal amplifiers of the speaker itself. In other words, you could upgrade to the most kick-butt receiver/amp in the world but it wouldn't really make any difference because you'd be using the amplifiers within the speaker itself and not from the receiver/amp.

I think most on here would give the nod to the Reference series over the Icon series. If you want to rock it properly, that's what the Reference speakers were designed for. The Icon series were designed to be a more modern looking speaker that aren't as large and take up less floor space than the Reference speakers do.

From what you've described, if you're able to get a good deal on the RF-82/RC-62 combo I think it'll be what you're looking for in sound.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but it looks like on eBay RF-82 pairs are going for around $850 new-in-box, RC-62s are going for around $350 new-in-box.

Ok I am getting dizzy bouncing my ideas back and forth lol but I want to Rock it so the Reference series sounds like my better choice. My guy priced me the RF 62s at 747.98 for the pair and the icon 23b at 424.99 so readjusting back to the RF-82/RC-62 combo should get me in the same ball park for my budget.

From my experience. I agree with Wuzzer. Look at either a total RF 62 Package, or the RF 82 setup. The Icon series is nice, but they are A WAF speaker.

You will get more bang for your Bucks with either the 62 or 82 packages................

Your "Salesman" was trying to unload the 48's because they are not selling as well as the RF series is..............JMHO.

Also with the reference series you will get better sound, and I think a smoother sound.

I have the Denon 1910 and enjoy it.

Thanks Bill

I will be going with the Rf 82s and the RC62. I am checking now to make sure they have all this in the black finish so it all matches. I had the same feeling about him trying to unload the icons on me but he has been very helpful up to this point so I was considering it for a while. I can't wait until I have it Rockin in my living room. My wife is going to crap lol :-) I will let everyone know how it turns out for sure. I was un easy about the Denon just because I hadn't heard about it before but everything I am reading so far is awesome so I am pretty set on that choice.

Also they are trying to sell me a Monster power supply for like 230.00 Is this that important or can I save a little with a normal power strip? I definetely want the protection if needed but am trying to watch my dollars as well.

Thanks the the replys

ok so I check out monoprice.com at work today and holy cow I totally am getting chapped at my store I was planning on buying from. I totaly have to rethink this and price everything again cause monoprice.com blows them out of the water big time. My problem is they are discounting my sony 55in xr8 to 3500.00 cause of the total package I was picking out. I am guessing they are going to run when I tell them I don't want all the accessories but it may be worth it. Back to my paper and pencil and the www

if you havent bought your speakers yet, i highly recommend checking out 6ave.com. they have a name your price promo going right now, and you can get a pretty sweet deal w/ free shipping. as for cables, the sites the other guys mentioned are great.

Bill

• Moderators

ok so I check out monoprice.com at work today and holy cow I totally am getting chapped at my store I was planning on buying from.

When I first heard about monoprice.com, I was very skeptical. I was always the guy that had Monster everything. I figure this company was a fly by night deal and their cables were probably inferior. I was wrong. My first cable was a 40' HDMI cable. All I can say is I'm not skeptical any longer. It's crazy when Best Buy wants $60 - $140 for an HDMI cable that you can get for $20 - $30 at Monoprice.

a little update on my progress

I've been shopping online till my head is spun clear off hehe but so far my sales guy has done pretty good. I used Sound Distributers prices for the Klipsch rf-82 home theatre system,HDTV Dreams for the Denon avr1910 and the Samsung P3600, and then monoprice for cables,speaker wire, subwoofer cable, and wall mount, then Walmart for a stand to stack my receiver and the like on.

Not talking the TV everything else comes to right at 100.00 cheeper shopping on line but that doesnt include the shipping at a couple of them.I guess he is giving me a pretty sweet discount on the klipsch products cause everything else he priced is way higher. And I haven't found anywhere that touches his price of the TV.

Well anyways I will be finalizing my decision by Friday and looking forward to getting it all in my house and setting up.

Thanks again for all your help guys. You have given me some great sites and ideas.

Rock on!!!